Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pirrelli P-Zero's Corsa rear replacement with None Corsa P-Zero's/PS4? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Pirrelli P-Zero's Corsa rear replacement with None Corsa P-Zero's/PS4?

As per title
My rears are shot after a couple of charity track days
Fronts are fine.
I mostly do road driving with the odd track day.

Trawling through the forum I see the common thoughts are to put on PS4. 
As my fronts are ok what are the thoughts/experiences

1 - PS4 rear with existing Corsa's up front - I normally like to have same tyre on each corner so would probably be looking at full set.

or as a cheaper option for now
2- P-Zero not Corsa on rear.  I see there's a Rosso option for Porsche?  Is that similar to Corsa?
Evo magazine had the P-Zero beating the PS4 in a recent test.  Yet everyone on here says avoid.  Is that still the case for the latest p-zero, if they are different.  Article seems to imply tyre manufacturers are constantly changing the tyres?

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

updating in-case anyone else is coming up to changing p-zero on one axl only.

Went for a full change out to PS4's (not PS4S).  Don't like spliting tyre makes on  my cars

Did my 1st track day event on Donnington's old circuit yesterday. 
Last track day event was a couple of months back at Rockingham on p-zero's
So although 2 different venues and not by an expert driver.  Both days were dry and hot.  And as we are doing PAX rides for charities i'd say we at 8 tenths
Both events I start of with PSI at 30.
When p-zero got upto 40psi due to heat rears felt slippy, like on ice and wasn't suprised to see the high PSi. When PS were are 40psi I could tell a slight change but was expecting just a slight increase in PSi but as not as high as the 40 showing.

As said both events are 8/10ths due to passengers , but there are places at both you can push to to see, safely.
Donnington has the melbourne hairpin corner which is a fast down hill with a lip at the top.  Car felt so stable over the lip, braking down hill and then the hairpin even when i push to what should of been the limit just got a little tyre squeal and and over steer or understeer seem easily controlled.

1st lay-mans impressions miles better.

• Like 1

I had the same dilemma recently, the original Corsa rears were done, but the fronts still had a consistent 5mm left.  I'm not usually a fan of mixing tyres, but with no Corsa rears available that I could find and after a bit of forum trawling/a chat with B&C, I decided to change the rears to PS4's and see how it felt, with the view of changing the fronts if it messed up the balance.

So far, so good on road use running at the recommended 32/38 psi, it might be a different story on track, but for now I'm happy with not changing the fronts until they've seen a bit more action.

32 minutes ago, F1_Chris said:

I think you made the right choice. The standard P-Zero's lost traction after a few hot laps at a recent track day. Was expecting them to fair a lot better.

I'm happy i did, the potential wet weather performance difference with this charity event coming up made my mind up.   Although it was sunny and dry.  These didn't lose traction all day. didn't fancy turning up and if there was a noticable in balance i'd be kicking myself.

Bought the PS4 as a rain tyre shortly. Didn't test them in the rain until now. In dry conditions they just overheat very fast... well what can u expect from a classic uhp tyre. It´s no semi slick. 

Best tyre in dry conditions for me until now is the Pirelli Trofeo.

14 hours ago, Sebastian Ritter said:

Bought the PS4 as a rain tyre shortly. Didn't test them in the rain until now. In dry conditions they just overheat very fast... well what can u expect from a classic uhp tyre. It´s no semi slick. 

Best tyre in dry conditions for me until now is the Pirelli Trofeo.

Trofeo is stunning but its performance drops very fast laps after laps. 

• 1 month later...

In need of some rear tyres myself and have found the below at ATS, I would like to stay as close as poss to manufacturer spec. Road use only and wondering is these are worth the extra over standard P Zero’s?

A305E541-D04F-481F-8F23-1AD771C1FE25.png

Michelin Pilot Cup 2’s are Lotus’ favoured performance tyre and for good reason, I wouldn’t go to Pirelli. For just road use go to PS4S but for combined light track and road Cup 2’s are great 

2 hours ago, Tex said:

Michelin Pilot Cup 2’s are Lotus’ favoured performance tyre and for good reason, I wouldn’t go to Pirelli. For just road use go to PS4S but for combined light track and road Cup 2’s are great 

Was thinking of going to Cup 2’s next when all four will need replacing, I’ve got the original Corsa’s on the front which have plenty of life left so was just looking to replace rears at the moment. But may look at full set of Cup 2’s if budget allows just seems a shame to chuck the current fronts

8 hours ago, R300XXX said:

Was thinking of going to Cup 2’s next when all four will need replacing, I’ve got the original Corsa’s on the front which have plenty of life left so was just looking to replace rears at the moment. But may look at full set of Cup 2’s if budget allows just seems a shame to chuck the current fronts

In which case you may want to do what I’ve done. 

Ebay seems to be awash with Corsas for my Mac 285/35/20 normally unused/part worn from reputable tyre fitting outlets, so may be worth scouring to see if they have your sizes. I’ve been paying £250 for full sets but occasionally buy just a rear at £75 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264351353938

On 31/10/2019 at 07:53, Tex said:

In which case you may want to do what I’ve done. 

Ebay seems to be awash with Corsas for my Mac 285/35/20 normally unused/part worn from reputable tyre fitting outlets, so may be worth scouring to see if they have your sizes. I’ve been paying £250 for full sets but occasionally buy just a rear at £75 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264351353938

Thanks Tex with a mixture of eBay and black circles I’ve ended up with a full set of Cup 2’s for £570