free hit
counters
Reliable gearbox overhaul in Scotland / N England - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PGRO

Reliable gearbox overhaul in Scotland / N England

I have an oil leak from front of gearbox. To replace seal, g'box has to be split. I'm not confident enough to do this myself - can anyone recommend a really reliable Lotus service facility in either Scotland or N England?

Thanks,

Peter, Edinburgh.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had my S1 gearbox completely overhauled by Paul at Lagonda Garage in Billingham, Cleveland (Teesside) if that's any use. Can you obtain the seal?

Which seal?   as there is no actual 'seal' on the input shaft - excess oil is dropped into the bellhousing via a mechanical scroll.   Maybe the box is significantly overfilled?  Output shafts have traditional oil seals, but these could be replaced without 'splitting' the box.

Alan Voight's in Merseyside, may have the most experience of these boxes in the UK.

On 29/08/2019 at 11:54, 910Esprit said:

This should say 'differential' not bellhousing!  

this housing is bolted to the engine block and derives its name from the bell-like shape that its internal components necessitate. 

Bell housing:)

Edited by dsvitesse1

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com