free hit
counters
Should the streering be this heavy? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
StrangeThing3131

Should the streering be this heavy?

Hi 

I have finally taken the plunge and bought a 74 Elite from a local auction. The plan is to learn as I go, fixing all the little niggles.

The main thing i notice is you need to be seriously strong to turn the wheel, especially at low speeds. Its a real effort. I've had cars without power steering in the past and it was never like this.

Anyone got an idea what this may be?
I have checked the tires and they seem to be correct sizes..

20190824_220836.jpg

20190824_221420.jpg

20190827_230739.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great looking car! Steering doesn't sound right though.

Jack up the front and try turning the steering wheel,  and also turn the road wheels,  should show you if somethings tight.

I've got most of a power steering setup here if you fancy a project!

Welcome to TLF Adam. :welcome:

Car looks nice.

You should also duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Nice car and welcome.

The steering is heavy at low speeds and made worse by the lack of ackerman geometry so the outer wheel will scrub whilst making slow low speed turns. That being said, it should lighten up as your speed increases. Its worth checking the universal joints on the steering column (there are 2) in the engine bay as these are prone to seizing.

Is that the one that was at Anglia Car Auctions a couple of months ago?  Looks very nice.  Does the steering lighten up when you get up to normal speed, say 20mph?  Are the tyre pressures correct?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

What a beauty.

Silly question but, has it had a retrofit for power steering and thats not working? :)

It's getting there......