free hit
counters
Bonnet release Busted - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Went to open my bonnet and it sheared at both ends, anyone else had this? Any hints and tips of how to fix would be most appreciated. Looks like an absolute pig of a job due to the space issue.

Is the glovebox lining easily removed in particular the left hand wall. is there a thread for removing the instrument binnacle housing?  

fullsizeoutput_f15.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f17.jpeg

Edited by tonytransam

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Having just about completed the full restoration of an S1 I cannot see how you can repair this in situ. Though the lever doesn't require a whole load of pressure applied to open or close the latch.

The handle is simply welded to the rod, which is located at each end of the dashboard via brackets underneath of the bar dash support bar.

From memory, removal of the bar would entail undoing it from the brackets at each end, and also the activating rods which link to the pivotable retaining "locks". Extracting it from under the dashboard is the next issue.

I don't think there is enough room at each end above the inner wheel arches to allow the bar to be pulled free, without fouling either side of the body shell inside the cabin. I could be wrong.

Dropping it lower may help, but would require the removal of the heater box, which is bolted to the plenum (air intake housing). I think you'd need to remove the lower (cosmetic) dash which holds the glovebox to do this.

It's a pain whatever you have to do.

Drivers side I should be able to do I’ve pulled the bracket out and removed the welded nut and there is enough of the nut showing out of the rod to remove. Passenger side is a whole different story lots of wires and the glove box inner. 

It's unclear what car this is for, but I suspect most are the same, apart from the late G-Esprits with their more complex wiring.

I'd say the passenger side has the least to get in the way. Certainly for my S1. Once you remove the glove box, which is only clipped on, along with the fuse boxes. Removing the lower dash requires disengaging with the centre console, but if that could be done then access is pretty good.

I can post photos on here, but mine is currently in this state.

Edited by Fridge

Hi 84 Turbo.

I must the only one in the world this has happened to!🤬

Seems an odd thing to break - was just looking at mine and there is really no pressure on it on closing/opening the bonnet catch. 

Make sure nothing fouling the mechanism or an issue with catch alignment etc!

Hope you get it sorted.

17 hours ago, tonytransam said:

I must the only one in the world this has happened to!🤬

Sure thats not the case....but......make sure you document and post the fix!!

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, slewthy said:

Seems an odd thing to break - was just looking at mine and there is really no pressure on it on closing/opening the bonnet catch. 

Make sure nothing fouling the mechanism or an issue with catch alignment etc!

Hope you get it sorted.

Sure thats not the case....but......make sure you document and post the fix!!

Owned 11 G Esprits never had this before, question is do you pull all the dash out? Seems a bit extreme plus a sh*t of a job and who knows what will break or stop working when you mess about with it. I know I could improvise along the same idea, but the limited access is the problem. 

Don't worry I will not be drilling holes in my bonnet for racing clips!

Edited by tonytransam

I think you have a long, ball ache of a job ahead of you. Unless there’s some way of fixing them in situ, which escapes me. If it’s the same as mine, it fits behind the heater casing, so it might be a case of dash and heater removal.

Margate Exotics.

Is the bonnet release a solid bar or a hollow tube?

11 hours ago, tonytransam said:

Is the bonnet release a solid bar or a hollow tube?

I would have thought it’s a tube, but could you perhaps get a photo from each end? One of those tiny remote cameras, perhaps?

Margate Exotics.

Problem is the broken bolt and welded nut at end. I tend to agree it will be hollow so have taken to it with my trusted dremel and grind it off, it’s the only tool I can get in there. 

All items are solid cross sections on an S1.

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

All items are solid cross sections on an S1.

Sorry. Mistaken. The long tube, though having a thick wall, is in fact a tube (S1).

The glove box can be dropped down on the left side without disconnecting any wires. Just remove the screws which secure it to the cross-beam and facia.