free hit
counters
Oil line replacement and oil coolers - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mightymetro

Oil line replacement and oil coolers

In the next week or so I’m going to be looking at changing both my oil coolers and also the oil pipes from front to rear.  The current oil coolers both need replacing.  The car has the original through chassis pipes in place but cut at both ends, and then new replacement pipes run under the chassis and fastened to the floor which I hate.  I’m going to put new pipes on the ensure the entire oil system is fragment free after the engine seizure and I want to get them back through the chassis.  I’ll be working on my driveway and not on a ramp.  

Any hints or or tips are greatly appreciated.  Because I’m changing both the pipes and oil coolers it does allow me to change fittings etc if I go aftermarket for the coolers.  I’m also changing the radiator at the same time so I’m prepared for seized fasteners 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I changed all my chassis pipes a couple of years ago. The aluminium tubes had short pieces of split rubber hose around them at various intervals, which someone on here confirmed as being a factory fit to keep them from sagging and contacting the bottom of the chassis backbone when the car is being driven. I replicated this with the new tubes, cable-tying the new hose pieces so they don't slip. I also secured the oil cooler lines together for the same reason, so they don't flop around unsupported.

You might want to consider removing the gearchange master to get into the chassis back bone and access from above. It's easier pulling the hoses through if you have some help, too. A willing wife was just the thing for this. There's also a bulkhead up front which the pipes/hoses have to be fed through. Don't forget those all-important rubber grommets to prevent chafing.

Put some anti-seize compound on the oil cooler threads, maybe Copperslip or similar. That way you might sand half a chance of undoing them the next time around.

Margate Exotics.

Managed to get under the car today and got the old pipes out.  The link pipe had to be cut through to get the coolers off but the front to rear pipes came undone pretty well and are all intact.  Does anyone have he length of the hoses ?  The only reason I ask is I wonder if the length is ok to have these made up from or not considering they now need to go through the chassis.  I don’t think it will make much difference in all honesty but thought I’d check.

Also, does anyone know the thread size on the oil cooler adapters ?