free hit
counters
Carbon engine covers - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PJ

Carbon engine covers

I have seen someone with the two carbon engine covers but can't find it that quickly. I have a glass rear window, so I think it would be nice. Any suggestions on how the quality is, worth the investment?? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Komotecs are fantastic.

note of caution tho if you are fitting an inter cooler. This raise the height of one of the attachment points (drivers side) so the fron cover gets a little off centre. To get over this either modify the bracket or make a new one.

cheers

13 hours ago, PJ said:

I have seen someone with the two carbon engine covers but can't find it that quickly. I have a glass rear window, so I think it would be nice. Any suggestions on how the quality is, worth the investment?? 

It is @MrP_ I believe. In his car's thread, you'll find all the details and references you need. 

If you have the V6 I presume you already have the standard covers, so its a simple swap out. I you have a 350, then you need to get additional hardware to mount it. 

I would say it is worth it as it makes the engine bay look much nicer. 

I have the covers from Elise-Shop - it adds no functional benefit, but does look nicer and makes the engine bay looks like it should do in my opinion. Quality is good, but as with all these parts they look better after a proper polish to get them looking their best.

Here is what they look like with the standard airbox:

b7ipl3n.jpg

pRUgDZz.jpg

And with the alis23 intake:

ab0snsX.jpg

If they are always on display through the window I wouldn't hesitate.

• Like 1

Thanks! Yep, I should just order it!

@MrP_ how do you get this so clean??

Screenshot_20190831-220131_Samsung Internet.jpg

15 hours ago, PJ said:

Thanks! Yep, I should just order it!

@MrP_ how do you get this so clean??

Screenshot_20190831-220131_Samsung Internet.jpg

The dull answer of time and correct products! But mostly just putting in time.

It depends on how yours is dirty, oxidisation or grime? - If grime, you will need an all purpose cleaner wipe down, degreaser (likely scrubbed with toothbrush or similar), rinse and then lightly polish with peek/autosol, then topped with a sealant. If the degreaser didn't work, using white vinigar works well and if really dirty a steam clean

If just oxidised then you can go to a wipe down and a light metal polish. Then seal.

You can polish the throttle body more due to the finish being smooth. 

Mine was never allowed to get dirty so it was metal polished from new, wiped down with IPA then ceramic coated from new so never really oxidised. When fitting the intake tube the throttle body was given a deeper polish then topped with Megs NXT metal polish, and aluminium on the charger was just given a wipe down.

It just depends how much you want to polish, and how dirty it is to start with. But once cleaned seal it in with a wax or sealant, or coating, to protect against oxidisation. Then just wipe down every time you wash the car.