free hit
counters
My latest optical project - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ramjet

My latest optical project

These are at least 32 years old as my mum asked me to buy them for when Halley's Comet passed our earth. I was in Sydney. My parents etc all lived in Gove, NT. No-one there sold binoculars.

I got to see the comet before sending to my mother in the NT where she used them with my dad and sister and brother.

Mum and dad are both gone now and the binoculars had sat in the NT weather for that time. My brother kept them in their case which is leather and I am slowly getting some life back into it.

The lenses and prisms had fungus growing on them. I worked out how to get them all apart and am now reassembling. I have to get myself some grease from a shop in Melbourne. I originally contacted Nye Lubricants but a sample of their grease (25g) would cost more than the value of the binoculars if I tried to sell them, which I am not going to do.

After I have reassembled them, I am pretty sure I am going to have to collimate them due to having them apart. That and the brief look I had through them before embarking on pulling them apart, showed that they are not as good as they could be.

All the lens and prism surfaces cleaned up nicely.

spacer.png20190816_211145 copy.jpg20190816_211723 copy.jpg20190831_131908 copy.jpg

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

:hrhr: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.