free hit
counters
Clutch pedal Vibrations - Adjustments - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gis

Clutch pedal Vibrations - Adjustments

I’ve renewed my clutch including master and slave cylinders a year ago. The new clutch went in while the engine was out for a complete belt renewal. All worked fine until some weeks ago when I had some clutch engagement point anomalies, I.e. sometimes engaging a bit early on and off. Nothing too serious. I initially though it was due to air trapped in the hydraulic system and subsequently bled it and renewed the fluid. No change. I noticed that the adjustment screw at the clutch lever was set to only about 12mm exposed thread. Looking at the service notes it says a minimum of 22mm of exposed thread is needed. Off we go adjusting it to 22 then. Now I have very persistent vibration feedback that I can feel on the clutch pedal all the way through its travel. Uncomfortable really. I now plan to roll the thread back to about 15mm and see how that feels. How do you adjust your clutches as they gradually wear? What’s the sweet spot? Any thoughts? My slave is the lower cost version from SJ, the red hose is long gone, it’s a stainless line by the way.

Ad initium

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

An update. The 22mm as indicated in the service notes certainly don’t work for my clutch. It refers to a complete OEM setup. Im certain that my car has a different spec slave with a different pushrod length at the back. I reigned the adjustment screw back in to about 14-15mm. One can actually feel when the release bearing touches the lamellas moving the hinged lever back and forth. So that was the reference point for me and then I added some play of approx 1mm. Wonder if that’s the correct approach. Well, the vibrations are gone and we’re back to normal. An extended test drive is now needed to verify. 

• Like 1

Ad initium