free hit
counters
Demister - what demister?? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Been so busy with everything else on my Esprit S1, haven't noticed this before, but I haven't got any demisters!! 

It looks as if a PO has had the interior reupholstered and someone has forgotten to install the demisters. Coming from the States perhaps they thought it didn't need them?

On the passenger side underneath the footwell it feels as if there is a long hole where a demister could be located. Just above the heater vent.  (although on looking at some photos of S1's and S2's the S2's have a long thin demister and the S1 has a more short rectangular one?

I cannot feel anything underneath the drivers side. However there seems to be a long slot on top of the binnacle. Please see my photos. Is this where the demister sits? Any help would be appreciated. Any idea where can I get them. Are they off anything else?

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Lez,

Assuming S1 is same as S2 this is where they should be:

48677312752_fa8aeb6904_c.jpg

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Peter, Great. Many thanks for replying. This confirms what I thought. Only trouble now is getting to the vent in the binnacle! :angry:

I have removed my binnacle before and IIRC the pipe was one of the last things to connect once I had the binnacle in place.

Admittedly mine is an S4. Not sure if Lotus changed it. 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Dash mask off Lez. I don't think there's enough room for access underneath.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

15 hours ago, ramjet said:

I have removed my binnacle before and IIRC the pipe was one of the last things to connect once I had the binnacle in place.

Admittedly mine is an S4. Not sure if Lotus changed it. 

Sorry, -  Im an old git! What does llrc mean? Cheers. 

1 hour ago, williamtherebel said:

Sorry, -  Im an old git! What does llrc mean? Cheers. 

If I remember correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus553 said:

If I remember correctly.

Simple when you know!! Thanks.

11 hours ago, peteyg said:

Dash mask off Lez. I don't think there's enough room for access underneath.

Pete

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well. Better get to work!

Ok, So ive removed the binnacle, and this is whats revealed. No demister. Just a slot for one in the binnacle.

Ive taken the photo from outside so apologies for the reflection.

IMG_3279.JPG

16 minutes ago, williamtherebel said:

Ok, So ive removed the binnacle, and this is whats revealed. No demister. Just a slot for one in the binnacle.

Ive taken the photo from outside so apologies for the reflection.

IMG_3279.JPG

Where does the demister trunking come from? Up through the hole next to the face level vent trunking on the right hand side of the photo? Or should there be a 'split' in the trunking. One going to the demister and the other going to the face level vent?

Can anybody show me what I need? The only diagram I can find is the hazy one from the manual. Thanks.

IMG_3282.JPG

Hi Lez,

I will attach a pic taken during the early phase of my S2 disassembly which shows, if one looks closely, 2 hoses for connections in the pod. I had to enlarge my on-screen view rather substantially to make it out but there were 2 hoses there: 1 still poking clear of the pod, and 1 other visible below its access hole.

IMG_0690.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Steve, thanks for the photo and confirmation. Yes, I see it!  Do you have a photo of the demister unit that attaches to the binnacle? On mine it looks as if the slot is aimed INTO the cockpit instead of onto the screen. Is this correct? How good is the demister?

Just now, williamtherebel said:

Hi Steve, thanks for the photo and confirmation. Yes, I see it!  Do you have a photo of the demister unit that attaches to the binnacle? On mine it looks as if the slot is aimed INTO the cockpit instead of onto the screen. Is this correct? How good is the demister?

I take it the blue 'thing' next to the gear lever in your picture is No 16 on the diagram?

The blue thing is indeed what is depicted as "16" in the diagram. I took a minimal number of photos during that work phase but will rummage around today and see what turns up in the way of related bits. I'm resolving interior matters currently so it's no bother at all to do so and will take a photo of anything that would seem helpful.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Steve, That would be much appreciated. Im really struggling, what with 3 different diameters of trunking to sort out, and then finding it out where they are suppose to go. its a bit of a mess under there!

Alright mate, I've found what you're looking for! Attached pics show metal diffusers in black, and the related connecting pieces in aqua coloured plastic. These are from a factory A/C equipped S2 but will be applicable, I expect, to your S1 particularly if slots for the diffusers are found to be in the top surface of both pod and dash. The more brightly lit pic shows the bits for venting the pod and connecting the trunking to it. The other is for the passenger side of course. The metal bits are still available new from SJ, I believe, whereas the plastic trunking adapters would need to be sourced from a wreck. Lotusbits are well known for salvaged parts but SJ are worth a try as they may also have a wreck or two for parting out. 

Hope you'll be on your way to sorting this out, do let me know if more shots would be helpful.

Cheers

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Steve, photos are great. Shows exactly what I need. Just what I wanted. Much appreciated. I'll start ringing round on Monday and see if Lotusbits etc has any. Unless anyone on here has them????? Cheers. 👍👍

• Like 1

On 03/10/2019 at 20:56, williamtherebel said:

Where does the demister trunking come from? Up through the hole next to the face level vent trunking on the right hand side of the photo? Or should there be a 'split' in the trunking. One going to the demister and the other going to the face level vent?

Can anybody show me what I need? The only diagram I can find is the hazy one from the manual. Thanks.

The face level vent is for cold air only as are the two vents by the gearstick (if you have them late S2 and S3 fitment) and the one by the glovebox. You only get hot air going to the 2 demisters and into the footwells to keep your toes warm.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

4 hours ago, peteyg said:

The face level vent is for cold air only as are the two vents by the gearstick (if you have them late S2 and S3 fitment) and the one by the glovebox. You only get hot air going to the 2 demisters and into the footwells to keep your toes warm.

Pete

Hi Pete, Thanks for the info.  I have 1 vent near the gearstick but am presuming its very similar to what you describe. At least now I will know what trunking goes where. Cheers.:thumbup: 

What I see of that central vent in the photo collection PDF circulated by the P.O. suggests it to be an aftermarket item, would have expected A/C to be in the car as that has been popular in North America.

I guess that's the problem when  buying a 42 year old car! There's been so much bodging, 'updating', aftermarket stuff put on, taken off, additions etc etc, that the muggins present owner, (me!) sometimes has no idea what was original. On the present engine I can see an A/C unit bracket but no actual unit. In fact on the batch of photos you mention you can see an A/C unit present.