free hit
counters
Rolling axle stands - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mightymetro

Rolling axle stands

I need to do some work on the esprit but my garage is pretty small (I’m going to have to take the door off and the frame out) just to get her in but it is a little wider inside.  The problem is that if I have her dead in the middle it’s pretty tight either side.  I’m considering getting 2 of these so I can roll the car side to side.  Does anyone know if the jacking points would work with these?  I don’t have my car at the moment so can’t check myself but want to hit the ground running when I get her back and get them ordered 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Mobile-Axle-Stand-Car-Van-Caravan-Vehicle-Garage-Tool-Adjustable-4-Wheels-Red-UK/2123838756?iid=183860642950&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=183860642950&targetid=521080780451&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046299&poi=&campaignid=1782815736&mkgroupid=70885937242&rlsatarget=aud-629407027145:pla-521080780451&abcId=1139356&merchantid=138812666&gclid=CjwKCAjw-7LrBRB6EiwAhh1yX-oBM0k27SBeiaICQqIlndBVWLiP1vGl41MMpbvoHa5x0uOff0stABoCBlsQAvD_BwE&thm=1000

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No, not unless the contact points are modified from that V- form. The jacking points are a different shape, about 50 x 60mm flat or similar, but you’d need to check yours. Depending on their size, you might be able to simply lop those V’s off and weld a plate in their place.

Margate Exotics.

Some blocks of wood can easily be shaped to make them fit. I would be a little worried about having two sets of independent stands on wheels. If one set get stuck on something as you are moving the car it would be very easy for things to get ugly. I would recommend joining them together somehow to make a single 'dolly' that would be more stable.

cheers

-Chris

If you don't need it to move while on the axle stands, then consider wheel skates. You'd then just jack it back up and put the stands under again.

I'm with Chris thinking that you'd be very susceptible to frames moving independently.An axle stand is cup-shaped so that the vehicle cannot easily move off the stand (without going upwards out of the cup), but using jacking points doesn't give a great deal of resistance to moving off the stand (just the little locating pin and a tiny lip).

Wheel skates like these https://www.sgs-engineering.com/ws4000-680kg-wheel-skates?gclid=CjwKCAjwnrjrBRAMEiwAXsCc4xFq885guA5CNJaqNWR3eVOA2L2_VoNR4lybAPwGp0ryL3uWBVr1BxoCN_oQAvD_BwE

Or I bought 4 oil barrel skates and welded plates on them for my tyres to fit on... but proper skates didn't exist then...

I was thinking more basic like these below but those may be better as they don't require a jack in order to lift enough to move it, flip side is that they require space to operate the hydraulics than would be on the simpler ones and a a jack.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/wnd4000-450kg-wheel-dollies-set-of-four

I have a set like those. I've used them a lot! I had to use them to move the car during an engine removal in a garage with too low of a ceiling, moved the car out from under the engine.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

7 hours ago, Vulcan Grey said:

I have a set like those. I've used them a lot! I had to use them to move the car during an engine removal in a garage with too low of a ceiling, moved the car out from under the engine.

Ditto. 🙂

Mightymetro. As it seems you are quite limited i would consider something along the lines of the axle stands on wheels with a locally manufactured frame so you support across the front of the chassis and somewhere acoss the chassis just in front of cam belt. Strong and solid. I personally never jack on fibreglass no matter what the manual might say 

Edited by PhilW