free hit
counters
Steering wheel noise - Evora 400 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Glasgow

Steering wheel noise - Evora 400

2016 Lotus Evora 400. Steering noise on stationary or very slow driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efW9PFOucg

Same noise happened last year and disappeared by itself. Yesterday,  I noticed it again. Some online search suggested silicon spray to the rubber grommet behind the brake pedal (where the steering column exits the foot-well). Tried this but no luck. Looks like the noise is coming from the steering wheels not the grommet.

Any suggestion please? (car still has 2 months in the warranty)

Thank you

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds just like mine did before I sprayed the grommet. Try a different lubricant. 

I think you might need to drop the front undertray and tighten up the front subframe bolts.

33 minutes ago, EGTE said:

I think you might need to drop the front undertray and tighten up the front subframe bolts.

Sounds serious. I've not heard of this before. Is it a common problem on 400's or occurs more generally?

Yep - had that on my 2016 400.  Lotus Silverstone took less than hour to swap the offending part in the steering column with one from another 400 (under warranty)

I don't know the part or the issue with it, sounded to me as a spring had sprung

8 hours ago, Bruss said:

Sounds serious. I've not heard of this before. Is it a common problem on 400's or occurs more generally?

Hi Bruss,

It's not desperately serious; just the bolts stretching or working ever-so-slightly loose. I had a similar clicking noise (which I thought was steering-related) on my NA and this has fixed the problem. It can come back even so, which is when new bolts are needed.

• Like 1

Thank you all.

Any guide (or a link) on how to remove the front undertray please.

Thank you very much for the link but I am afraid I don't have the skills or the tools to do that. It has to be  dealership job for me. (BTW the noise disappeared today.... strange)

• Like 1