free hit
counters
Engine oil - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hiya

As I’m new to Lotus ownership (14 plate Exige 350s ), and I have had a quick search, but tbh I’m lost.

I have some Motul 300v 5/40 in my garage which I used to use on my modified Golf R..... would this be suitable to top up with? 

Bloody expensive stuff so don’t want to waste it, but I really want what’s obviously best for the engine.

cheers folks

Paul 😎

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 minutes ago, extremecapture said:

I have some Motul 300v 5/40 in my garage which I used to use on my modified Golf R..... would this be suitable to top up with? 

I am using 5W40 Power in my Sport 350. Not sure about topping up, but would for sure just put it in during the next service. Not sure if there is any need for top ups in 2GR-FE anyways

• Like 1

So does that mean they don’t use that much oil, I really suppose that’s mileage dependant, I used to top my Golf up quite regular and that was only my funday Sunday car aswell 😃😃😃

46 minutes ago, extremecapture said:

So does that mean they don’t use that much oil

Mine is at 23,000mi at the moment and (knock on wood) there is no sign of need for top ups. Also never heard of this from anyone else with an Exige (there is people here with higher mileage cars than mine). I do change oil every 4,500mi though as per manual for more active use.

• Like 1

Paul I generally don't need to top up buddy even in between track day usage. So you should be good.

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

Paul I generally don't need to top up buddy even in between track day usage. So you should be good.

This really is great news ..... thanks for all the input 😎😎😎😎

On 03/09/2019 at 19:02, extremecapture said:

Hiya

As I’m new to Lotus ownership (14 plate Exige 350s ), and I have had a quick search, but tbh I’m lost.

Bloody expensive stuff so don’t want to waste it, but I really want what’s obviously best for the engine.

cheers folks

Paul 😎

The modern VW (TFSI) engines do seem to use a fair amount of oil - requiring regular monitoring and top-up.  My Scirocco, from new, has always used about 1L/2k miles.

By contrast, the Toyota powered Loti generally appear to be very frugal and not require any topping-up between services.  Both my 2010 Elise SC and 2014 Exige have [touching wood] never appeared to use any oil at all between annual services.

• Like 1