free hit
counters
Mechanical help Esprit S4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Scott94s4

Mechanical help Esprit S4

I have a 94S4 Esprit. The engine runs fine when it is cold, until it warms up to temperature, then it performs like it has one dead cylinder. I was told that it was acting like it had a bad coil pack so I replaced it. It is still doing the same thing and I am not sure where to go from here. Do you have any idea what this could be?

Thank you for your help
Scott Williamson

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Spark plug breaking down as temperature increases?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

11 hours ago, Scott94s4 said:
Do you have any idea what this could be?

Have you tried running Frrescan or Espritmon? They may show something to give you some ideas. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

No I have not tried either. Don't have those programs, where can I get them?

Have you searched the forums?  Seems like I have seen this mentioned before?

Thank you guys for the help!  I will check it out and see what I can come up with.

On 04/09/2019 at 21:51, Scott94s4 said:
I have a 94S4 Esprit. The engine runs fine when it is cold, until it warms up to temperature, then it performs like it has one dead cylinder.

It's possible that a tappet has closed causing the valve not to seal when hot.

A hot compression test would prove or disprove this theory. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

John,

If it has just started doing this, wouldn't you expect to see a tappet get looser? The adjustments use shims so I would expect they will get looser and not tighter?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

You'd think so wouldn't you but as I understand the tappets close as the valve head hammers itself into the seat & the valve stem stretches.

Happy to be corrected by someone with more detailed knowledge of metallurgy. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

Either closing or opening can occur. Closing is normally if the valve shim wears when siting on the top of the valve stem (a little dimple forms), but you can get some closure of the valve gap due to excess wear on the valve or valve seat (such as caused by a defect in the material). It's not as common but not impossible either.

The answer to Michael's question will be key, things like valve wear (and ring wear etc) are gradual changes that would increase over the course of several thousands of miles. Things like a plug / plug lead failure would be pretty quick to manifest. Knowing how the onset was will narrow things down, but the outcome of the ECU scan may make things a lot simpler.

3 minutes ago, andydclements said:

Closing is normally if the valve shim wears when siting on the top of the valve stem (a little dimple forms),

Shim wear or a dimple forming on the bottom of the shim would increase the gap between shim & cam lobe (tappet) surely. :ermm:

Cheers,

John W