free hit
counters
BATTERY CHARGER - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi

I am a Lotus "newbie", having just recently purchased an Evora 400.

A friend told me that the reason a battery charger was included with the car is that if I don't drive the car at least once a week the battery will die.

I am not sure if that is the case but tonight I did hook up the battery trickle charger.  However, when I lower the deck lid, of course I can't close it all the way because it will cut the wire to the charger.  So I put a folded soft cloth between the decklid and the car body.  But it looks like the "trunk" courtesy light stays on since the lid is not closed tightly.  That would seem to negate the purpose of a battery charger.

I expect I am not the only person who has this issue so I wonder if someone can explain to me (1) why the battery dies so quickly (if indeed what my friend told me is true) and (2) how do I get the trunk courtesy light to go off so the battery charger actually charges the battery instead of sending its power to the courtesy light?

And sorry if this question has been asked before.  I don't know how to do a topic search since I just joined this forum.

Thanks very much for your help.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The battery should last 2-3 weeks but Evora's do seem to use batteries up quickly unless the car is used everyday.

Trunk light you can fool into thinking the lid is closed by 'closing' the catch in the boot with a bar, say the handle of a screwdriver.  DO NOT forget the latch is set before you try and close the trunk.

I can fold or crease my charger cable so that it follows the contour of the boot( trunk)  lip and stil close the the lid completely. I route it through the far edge furthest from the latch.

As per @Bruss, I never had any problems closing the boot lid completely with a Ctek battery conditioner attached. The cable & boot lid rubbers are flexible enough to close without damaging the cable

This may not be for everyone, but I got tired of popping the hatch every time I came home (or went out) in order to plug/unplug my charger. So, I added an external magnetic charger connection.

magnetic charging port 1.JPG

magnetic charging port.JPG

• Like 2

Cool modification! 👍

Like that charger port, where did you get it?

Oh, the old New Jersey.......... Forgot where I was.

I'll look over here, unless Boris really floors the pound.

I can close the rear hatch of my GT410 Sport on to the cable but don’t like doing it. Similarly I could simply close the latch to fool the electrics into thinking the hatch is closed, thus turning off the light. However I just know at some point I would forget and try closing the hatch with the latch closed and probably damaging it. So I came up with the very simple solution of fitting a mini rocker switch into the plastic surround that the light sits in:-

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/mini-rocker-switch-black

Just pull out the light, remove the 5 or so screws holding the plastic shroud and pull it out the way, feeding the rectangular light back through. Then on the bench you can drill a 20mm hole below and to the offside of the light hole. Pull one spade connector off the light terminal and make up a short fly lead, approx 150 long and crimp a new female spade connector to either end. Push the new fly lead onto the light male terminal and you can now refit the plastic shroud, feeding the light back through the hole and the 2 loose leads out through your new 20mm hole. 

Connect the new fly lead and the existing removed power cable to the new rocker switch and push it back into the new hole in the shroud. Push the light back into its rectangular hole and, hey presto, you can now switch the light on or off when required. Whilst doing this, it’s a good idea to engage the latch as described above to ensure the light isn’t powered, thus avoiding an accidental short. 

You can just see the circular switch here below and to the left of the light itself, looking towards the rear of the boot.

932CFF56-DEEA-4A0E-9C4E-F8C34FBD60C4.thumb.jpeg.5b5235f376455bcb458abf7a04d3d9db.jpeg

I close the hatch on my 410 Sport. No issue on cable. I also just took out the boot bulb as fooking useless anyway so if the boot aint properly closed then no issue.

No damage to cable, trunk lip or boot lip in 18 months.

Stop worrying. Lifes too short. Just do it and drive the fecking thing. After all it's no Constable, Van Gogh, Monet or Picasso even though it is beautiful. Patina = value....😂🤣😆🤣😆🤣

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I'm going to look at converting a magnetic cell phone cable. The trickle charger's only putting out 750 mA, and the magnet assembly on those is only ~8-9mm and would be easy to hide. You'd want a low amp fuse between the exposed socket and the battery. The trick will be opening up the tiny USB end and getting a wire attached.USLION Braided Magnetic Fast Charging Type C Micro USB Charger Cord Cable 1/2M

I guess my real question is. "why does the battery discharge when the Lotus Evora is not being driven?'

I have six other cars and none of them have this problem.  I can leave my BMW E30 in the garage for a month or more and it starts right up.  the Lotus - maybe five days and dead battery.  What a ridiculous issue for a $100K car?

Anyone know why the factory doesn't fix this?

Thanks

11 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I close the hatch on my 410 Sport. No issue on cable. I also just took out the boot bulb as fooking useless anyway so if the boot aint properly closed then no issue.

I disagree. If you’re parked in a dark underground car park, for example, it does provide sufficient light to see most of what’s in the boot. Yes, I could just close the hatch onto the cable but that’s a very inelegant solution - and I am a serial modifier/improver to all my toys, so I couldn't help myself!;) 

12 hours ago, TXLOTUS1 said:

I guess my real question is. "why does the battery discharge when the Lotus Evora is not being driven?'

I have six other cars and none of them have this problem.  I can leave my BMW E30 in the garage for a month or more and it starts right up.  the Lotus - maybe five days and dead battery.  What a ridiculous issue for a $100K car?

Anyone know why the factory doesn't fix this?

Thanks

Now been an issue for the 10 yrs of production, its minor in my book and the factory comes with a nice charger.  Bottom line seems to be that the cobra alarm system keeps a current draw, lotus purchases alarm, homeland and stereo unit from aftermarket in small volumes ... doesn't give them power to specify.  Maybe now under Geely with Volvo as a sister more of these systems will come in-house and lead to integration.