free hit
counters
Looking at a V6S shortly - any advice appreciated - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Markymark

Looking at a V6S shortly - any advice appreciated

Gents,

Looking at a V6S roadster next week, private sale - any specific things I should look out for?

Car has 18K miles.

Clutch wear? Seat runners? Anything else?

Many thanks,

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congrats if you get one they’re great cars👍

I have the V6S coupe.

I would check out the aircon if it has it as they do fail (mine did last month) It’s the pipes that run through the RHS cill  that can corrode and then the gas leaks away. From personal experience it’s very expensive to fix, other than that mine’s been fine - I’m now on 15200 miles. My clutch has been noisy from day one but is absolutely fine.

Also, if you have the Diamond cut wheels they can corrode and delaminate under the lacquer, which is also happening to my car.

Cheers,

Mario

Would that be the yellow one? If so the spec looks good, it's got sensible mileage and with the hardtop included I think it's pretty reasonably priced. In case you've not seen it there's also a blue coupe for the same money on the V6 Exige Facebook group, also well priced and I think it's got the soft top conversion included, probably can't go wrong with either.

I've only had my V6 roadster a few weeks after many years in an Elise and I'm loving every minute, great cars! 👍

7 hours ago, mario308 said:

Congrats if you get one they’re great cars👍

I have the V6S coupe.

I would check out the aircon if it has it as they do fail (mine did last month) It’s the pipes that run through the RHS cill  that can corrode and then the gas leaks away. From personal experience it’s very expensive to fix, other than that mine’s been fine - I’m now on 15200 miles. My clutch has been noisy from day one but is absolutely fine.

Also, if you have the Diamond cut wheels they can corrode and delaminate under the lacquer, which is also happening to my car.

Cheers,

Mario

Mario, I am checking out an Airco issue myself. What exactly do you mean with RHS cill?? 

Right hand side, sill I meant (spelling)☹️

The two metal pipes run through the sill and I’m told by the main dealer B&C that they corrode due to the heat/cold cycle. Moisture also gets in and eventually creates a gas leak. Mine have been replaced/ modified with the poly/plastic pipes and so far the aircon is freezing cold again 👍.

The replacement pipes are described as:

1/ Hose AC suction replacement p/n A120P0024S

2/ Hose AC pressure replacement p/n A120P0025S

In fact yesterday I had to turn the cold “down” a bit as I was turning blue.😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mario308 said:

Right hand side, sill I meant (spelling)☹️

The two metal pipes run through the sill and I’m told by the main dealer B&C that they corrode due to the heat/cold cycle. Moisture also gets in and eventually creates a gas leak. Mine have been replaced/ modified with the poly/plastic pipes and so far the aircon is freezing cold again 👍.

The replacement pipes are described as:

1/ Hose AC suction replacement p/n A120P0024S

2/ Hose AC pressure replacement p/n A120P0025S

In fact yesterday I had to turn the cold “down” a bit as I was turning blue.😀

This has been an issue since the S2 Exige (at least!) - I remember having to get H111 to put a new set of pipes through the sill on mine.

Thanks gents.

Yes Nathan, it is the yellow one.

Only issue (pre viewing) is it's a private sale and finance is outstanding, but I am sure the owner will let me pay the finance off direct and pay him the balance.

Viewing car later today, but as my wife will be driving it, she will have to like it, otherwise, no Exige V6 for me............☹️

I did that for mine, I would not pay the guy the balance of the finance .. is it to replace the aston ? 

No, keeping the Aston, this is to replace the wife's BMW Z4, which doesn't get used a lot, so thought a more fun, track friendly car should be bought!! 😜

I will be gutted if she doesn't get on with it, as I have always loved the look of them.

Fingers crossed then! After a Z4 the biggest shock might be the weight of the steering at parking speeds. It's not as bad as some of the reviews make out but very noticeable when stepping from a modern PAS car. Once moving it's a delight of course!

And now a red one I thought was sold is on the market via a dealer at the same price......

3 hours ago, Markymark said:

I will be gutted if she doesn't get on with it, as I have always loved the look of them.

I'll be really surprised if she finds an Exige as an acceptable car for regular driving instead of Z4 :blush:

the z4 seems to not be used, so probably not a problem ! What red Exige are you thinking of ?? 

Test drove the yellow one. Absolutely loved it! Unfortunately, the wife declined to drive it due to the narrow roads in the middle of East London, so going to test drive the red one up for sale by Supercar Sourcing.

I am aware this car has been tracked and is running additional front camber (shims removed). Ex lotus CEO car, so if anyone has any info, plus or minuses, please let me know. Done 9500 miles and recently service by a Lotus main agent.

If this car isn't any good and the wife is happy, will probably put down a deposit on the Yellow one if he hasn't sold it, otherwise will continue to look.

Thought the steering weight was OK, even at standstill for a non powered setup and was beautiful when moving. Showed up all the faults of the Z4 with it's crappy steering feels, poor damping etc.

• Like 1

Taking out camber shims helps the front end of the car hugely, I’d see it as a nice positive it buying a car :) 

Personally, is a car has been looked after, I don’t see any issues with it being tracked. Most owners don’t get near the limits anyway 😆

• Like 1

changing to forged wheels makes a HUGE difference in terms of steering weight - it really is night and day and I'm glad I did it. My wife actually likes driving it now which is the only real downside to the upgrade.