free hit
counters
Interior windscreen fogging. - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Spinney

Interior windscreen fogging.

I’ve put this in Lotus general topics rather than be specific about model type as the same problem applies whatever the car. 

I believe, rightly or wrongly, that the interior windscreen fogging that appears in cars is due to the plastic fumes that emanate from the interior trim. Now I always thought this was worse when the sun shines on the car but after completely cleaning my Evora last weekend and immediately parking it in the garage, I noticed today when using the car, the windscreen interior has again fogged quite badly. 

Assuming the interior plastics are the cause, does anybody know if there is a coating of some sort can be applied to the dash top that will reduce/eliminate this issue?

My car has a largely leather interior but the dash top is entirely plastic, so what can I do to get rid of the problem, other than get the dash retrimmed in leather?

Any ideas please?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, the problem is caused by someone in the vehicle being extremely sweaty, possibly after a physical workout of some sort..❣️

I've never heard that theory before. I'd have thought that the cause would have been humid air trapped inside the car. The carpets, sound deadening and upholstery can absorb quite a lot of water before they feel or smell even a bit damp. My Elise used to be terrible for fogging. Running a dehumidifier in the car for a few hours every few months collected a surprising amount of water and all but cured the fogging issues. My Evora 400 is similar, but less so.

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific. The fogging isn’t condensation, nor me sweating😋, but more a kind of smoky film build up on the inside of the screen. It doesn’t easily wipe off with a dry cloth and needs a damp cloth to clean properly. 

I’m sure I read somewhere it is due to solvents within plastics being evaporated off and then settling onto the glass. The other downside of this effect is that the plastic eventually becomes brittle and can easily crack. It happens in all my cars but seems particularly bad in the Evora, meaning I have to clean the inside of the screen weekly. I hate having a smeary screen, particularly on a sunny day, so would love to find a solution to the problem, maybe by some sort of coating. 

I can't imagine plastic fumes are condensating on the screen, it's just moisture from the carpets and air. I run with the AC on permanently, or you can fill a pair of tights with silica cat litter and leave that in the car when you're not using it to soak up.  

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

3 minutes ago, Bibs said:

I can't imagine plastic fumes are condensating on the screen, it's just moisture from the carpets and air. I run with the AC on permanently, or you can fill a pair of tights with silica cat litter and leave that in the car when you're not using it to soak up.  

Deffo not condensation but more a smoky film. 

Sounds quite peculiar but I know what you mean, I've seen similar. 

Perhaps a glass sealant will make the surface too smooth for whatever it is to adhere to?

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/exterior/glass-care/glass-sealants

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Been doing a bit of online research about this today and it seems to be a well known problem with so called "off-gassing of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from interior plastics in new cars"

The phenomenon is, apparently, made worse by leaving the car in strong sunlight thus causing the interior to heat up and allow the off-gassing, although it will still do it in cooler conditions, just not so quickly. Seems there's not a lot you can do to stop it other than leaving the windows open allowing the volatile organic compounds to be diluted and escape out of the interior. You obviously can't do this as a norm, but think I'll try doing that when the car is parked up in the garage.

What about those sun screens. By both lowering car temps and being in between the off gassing plastic and windscreen, will they help?

Edited by comem47
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, comem47 said:

What about those sun screens. By both lowering car temps and being in between the off gassing plastic and windscreen, will they help?

Yes probably would I should imagine. It’s worth a try whenever I park up somewhere. 👍

On 06/09/2019 at 09:58, Spinney said:

Deffo not condensation but more a smoky film

Exactly the same happens in mine. It is really difficult to get rid of and I've never experienced anything like this in any other car (probably asks a question of the quality requirements for the plastics used here). :dizzy:

If it is chemicals being released from the plastic, then it should slow down and stop eventually. I suspect that getting the dash trimmed in leather would just lead to the leather getting stained by the chemicals seeping through it. Keeping the car cool and well ventilated willl certainly help. You could put rags on top of the dashboard in the hope that they will absorb the fumes before they condense onto the windscreen. Or maybe something containing activated charcoal, like cooker hood filter sheets, would work even better? If you do manage to trap the stuff then perhaps you could sell it on to the Magic Tree company for them to use in their "new car scent" air freshners! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, vd9 said:

Exactly the same happens in mine. It is really difficult to get rid of and I've never experienced anything like this in any other car (probably asks a question of the quality requirements for the plastics used here). :dizzy:

I was beginning to think it was just me. Yes I did wonder if quality of plastics was a possible explanation but, although to much lesser degree, the same happens in both mine and the wife’s Mercs. They both have a soft feel dash which, if any plastic can ever be described thus, appears to be of good quality. 

I’ve cleaned the inside again this morning and left both windows open in the garage, so we’ll see if that makes a difference. Maybe I should put a cover of some sort over the dash top, as suggested, too, at least whilst it’s parked up. 

3 hours ago, Spinney said:

I was beginning to think it was just me. Yes I did wonder if quality of plastics was a possible explanation but, although to much lesser degree, the same happens in both mine and the wife’s Mercs. They both have a soft feel dash which, if any plastic can ever be described thus, appears to be of good quality. 

At least there is two of us for sure with this issue. I've been doing my best to fight the smear on the inner side of the windscreen for a long time. In our case an Exige is spending a lot of time outside and next to it is frequently a Macan, but it's all covered in leather inside and has no such issue even at a slightest. So, given your experience with Mercedes' and mine with Macan it must really be just plastic and some kind of combination of sunlight/temperature/humidity that does it.

12 hours ago, vd9 said:

At least there is two of us for sure with this issue. I've been doing my best to fight the smear on the inner side of the windscreen for a long time. In our case an Exige is spending a lot of time outside and next to it is frequently a Macan, but it's all covered in leather inside and has no such issue even at a slightest. So, given your experience with Mercedes' and mine with Macan it must really be just plastic and some kind of combination of sunlight/temperature/humidity that does it.

That’s interesting to hear your Macan with the leather dash doesn’t have the same issue. Up two years ago, we also had a Mercedes SL that was all leather inside, including the dash top, and that didn’t have the problem either. My Exige S V6 that I owned before the Evora had a largely leather dash and that didn’t have the problem to the same extent. I had been thinking about trying some kind of sealer on the dash top but assume it would need to be water based or it would probably just have a similar solvent problem of its own.

Won’t do it on this thread but can I please message you about the Macan as I’m thinking of getting one myself and could do with a personal view on it?👍

Hello Brent,

Agreeing with your take on this, I first noticed the phenomenon decades back in a mate's Honda IIRC. It was as distinctly evident as is your car. Over the years since I find successive instances, though still apparent in most all cases, much less pronounced. Seems the reduced presence of VOC's in auto upholstery plastics has been measurable.

Cheers