free hit
counters
Evora Le Vs S IPS - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Goatboy

Evora Le Vs S IPS

Evening all,

The search for an Evora continues, right now I have 2 good runners and I was wondering if anyone could share an opinion/experience as they are quite different propositions. 

Both cars have got good history, similar mileage and similar specs in terms of packs and extras. Both seem like quite reasonable prices given the current market. Insurance difference is small, tax for both similar enough to not worry about. Car will be an everyday car going round motorways (M25) with as much b roads blasts as possible and maybe once a year or so track day. 

Car 1 - Na launch edition

Pros - cheaper, manual so potentially more fun, uses 95 Ron, nice colour, oyster interior. Better mpg, smaller wheels so cheaper tyres, potential future classic? Plenty fast, less likely to depreciate?

Cons - older, manual so not so good on the commute, chance of short lived clutch, interior will get grubby quickly,  shorter tyre life

Car 2 - S IPS

Pros - faster, newer, IPS good for the commute, No clutch issues, My12 so better interior?, Dark interior so easy to keep clean

Cons - worse mpg, auto not as engaging? 98+ Ron, bigger wheels so more tyre expense, too fast to enjoy on the roads? Unusual colour. Expensive to buy, bit more depreciation likely, harder to sell on

I am completely torn! Has anyone experienced both and care to comment? Do I have any of my pros/cons wrong? Does it not really matter as both are awesome. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have a read through these, I've had pretty much most Evora's over the years and my thoughts are in there...

https://www.thelotusforums.com/category/latest-news/long-term-tests/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Just buy one!  You only live once and you could be dead before you stop dithering!  :)

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Buy both 👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

Thanks Bibs. Didn't know they were there. Some good insights for sure. 

@C8RKH the problem is I am away for 3 weeks with work, it gives me way too much time to think about cars and no time to buy them!! 😣

I bought my last Evora unseen, undriven, from photos from the Lotus Silverstone website from 500 miles away with 3 phone calls and a half dozen emails and whilst I was away with work..  No excuse lol.

infact I had never even seen a 410 Sport in real life.

so, just do it and be happy for 3 weeks that when you get home your Evora will be there and ready lol.... ;)

Anyway, good luck with your search

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Brave is one word. My wife used two. First one was stupid, second one ended in ...er!

Seriously do wish you good luck. They really are wonderful cars. All of them. Even I suppose the flawed +2s.....

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Brave is one word. My wife used two. First one was stupid, second one ended in ...er!

Stupid charmer?

Stupid lover? 

🤣

Everyone is different, but I’d go the manual in a heartbeat. Love my NA, more than enough power to have fun on the street. 

• Thanks 1

Out of those two cars, I would buy the newer S. The MY12 cars resolved a lot of issues that the earlier cars had. Ideally it would be a manual S but if the choice was only between those two, I would put up with the IPS. 

• Thanks 1

Also bought mine unseen privately from a Forum member here. A very easy and pleasant experience and exactly the car/spec I wanted.

• Like 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Ah but this is the problem!

I don't know what spec I want!!

This is exactly why I was asking for people's opinions on the relative merits of the 2 cars...

But our opinions are irrelevant. Go for the car that you are most attracted to. 

After all, did you ask other people's opinion about your current partner, or, ooops, is that why you are now "GOATBOY"!  :) ;)

• Haha 1

M25 on a daily basis - I’d go IPS. Big fan of the NA but as a daily around here the IPS is a better proposition, which is why my current Evora is an auto. 

The M25 in a manual is not particularly pleasant VOE. 

• Thanks 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Ah, I'm just pulling one of your four legs to get you to just do it. I've had an NA and now have a 410 Evora. You just need to get one.

The spec and the toys don't really matter when you do what it was made for, drive it. If you want one to compare specs get a Porsche for the golf club car park (though you will get a full set in the boot of an Evora!)

Good luck with your search mate.

5 minutes ago, Goatboy said:

Opinions aren't irrelevant at all. 

You don’t need to tell Andy this, he loves an opinion and has loads of them :hrhr:

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

I have an opinion on opinions as you well know Colin. However, can't wait for Friday and our trip to the IoM!

You're a top man in my book then!  Or is that goat. Or whatever....

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Goatboy said:

. For those who bought a car without ever driving it that was probably in the main driven by other people's opinions

Definitely not.

never drove any of my esprits either - probably cos they were all fucked. But these cars are a genetic attraction 

Only here once