free hit
counters
Evora Le Vs S IPS - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Goatboy

Evora Le Vs S IPS

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

for the golf club car park (though you will get a full set in the boot of an Evora!)

I experienced this for the first time a week ago. Yes the clubs and bag fits!!! - all accept the Driver that sat in passenger seat.

Incidentally, two separate strangers in the car park asked if they could sit in it - couldn’t get rid of one of them lol

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
49 minutes ago, Bruss said:

Yes , I've owned a couple of Esprits too. Lovely cars to look at. 😉

On balance - most of mine have been utterly trouble free once excessive fettling and spending on them. They really suffer with tight-fisted shortsighted owners 

• Haha 1

Only here once

Ps - it’s worse on a v8 - a lot worse @Bruss

Only here once

I wasn't joking. I have owned at least one of most variants of Lotus since 1973 and have found just two to be reliable and predictable. One is the Evora, the other was the plus 2. Other types randomly stopped or failed, often minor electrical or water pump seals (esprit) but always stopped use, and Lotus have always been as good at spares supply as they are now.  The plus 2's for me were the only daily runner that didn't suffer random failures, even though the common oil burn on start up probably would't be acceptable in the London congestion zone these days. 😀

I love the +2 Elans. Superb shape.

I know, I know, but it's a +2 - don't care, would have one in a heartbeat with the oatmeal interior....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

On 06/09/2019 at 20:12, Goatboy said:

Car 1 - Na launch edition

Pros - cheaper, manual so potentially more fun, uses 95 Ron, nice colour, oyster interior. Better mpg, smaller wheels so cheaper tyres, potential future classic? Plenty fast, less likely to depreciate?

Cons - older, manual so not so good on the commute, chance of short lived clutch, interior will get grubby quickly,  shorter tyre life

Car 2 - S IPS

Pros - faster, newer, IPS good for the commute, No clutch issues, My12 so better interior?, Dark interior so easy to keep clean

Cons - worse mpg, auto not as engaging? 98+ Ron, bigger wheels so more tyre expense, too fast to enjoy on the roads? Unusual colour. Expensive to buy, bit more depreciation likely, harder to sell on

I am completely torn! Has anyone experienced both and care to comment? Do I have any of my pros/cons wrong? Does it not really matter as both are awesome. 

just a  quick one on your criteria......

I have an N/A and never use 95ron.......Im sure it says in the petrol flap not less than 97ron

as for IPS.......you'll find it adictive

as for depreciation........I think the cars you are looking at have done their depreciating........

I dont think colour has any bearing on issues with any future sale.......

I tried several before I jumped..........partly because I waivered.........I missed 3 because I was too slow.......

I went with a colour I hadnt looked at........and the gearbox Id never tried before (IPS)...........I love it......

which ever you choose you wont regret it........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

39 minutes ago, theelanman said:

I have an N/A and never use 95ron.......Im sure it says in the petrol flap not less than 97ron

I found that my N/A always ran better on 95 than on higher octane, 93min I think is what the handbook said. So mine was run on 95. The S and 400 require premium, so hat is what the 400 gets (although I know someone who runs a 400 on 95)

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Had both.

LE brilliant but after driving an S you will be wanting more.

IPS - ok if you leave it in auto mode but woeful using paddles - was ready to sell it after a couple of months but persevered for a year.

manual S is what you need, or. 400

😎

construction and property consultants : My company

Thanks Beady. Interesting that you are one of the few people who have said they didnt get on with the IPS. I recall the reviews at the time of its release being a bit scathing. 

6 hours ago, Bruss said:

We need a general Lotus pic home thread.

?

• Like 1

The gear cables can be changed on LEs to 2012+ specification; improves the gearchange a lot.

I love my 2010 NA (with above cables) and it don't forget it beat the 997.1 GT3, Noble M600 and Gallardo Balboni in EVO COTY!

• Like 2

I can’t say I’ve got any problem with the IPS. When I bought my S sport racer, I went with the absolute intention of buying a manual. I was talked into trying the IPS and much prefer it as a road car. Each to their own I guess. Mine is one of the last S1’s, so presumably they had sorted the IPS box by then. I have to say I enjoy driving it and have no complaints about the operation of the gearbox in manual or auto settings, it’s as good or better as any other torque converter box that I’ve tried. Sure it’s not as quick from paddle pull to change as a DSG, but you get used to it, and it changes much faster than you ever could with a manual shift. One other thing, the difference in character of the car between Normal and Sport mode is much more noticeably on the ISP than the manual shift cars. Try Both!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Breeze said:

it changes much faster than you ever could with a manual shift. 

Not sure if that’s correct...

48728489828_270b766b3f_b.jpg

Also, to the Op. You’d be doing pretty well to notice the 0.3s 0-60 difference between the two cars you’re considering on the street. 

Edited by DBG

I suppose you're assuming the gear ratios are the same?

O-60 times, are they really a prudent measure of gear shift time?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Well I’m definitely no expert, but a quick google shows both gearboxes get to 60mph in one shift and ratios are pretty similar.

48729000908_d9fe28a14f_b.jpg

I’m not claiming 0-60 is the perfect measure, but shift times do play a factor (as demonstrated by modern DSG gearboxes vs manual). 

Edited by DBG

I can confirm some one once told me you can hit 60mph in 2nd 😉

Only here once

20 hours ago, Breeze said:

Sure it’s not as quick from paddle pull to change as a DSG, but you get used to it,

"you get used to it" that's my point. Compared to any DSG the IPS is poor

I also tried a Vantage with paddle shift - same old technology and also rubbish.

by contrast we also have a Macan (sorry everyone) as family car - it is used as an auto for 99.9% of the time but the paddle shift is brilliant in comparison.

If you never driven a modern double clutch paddle shift then the IPS is fine, or if you use it as an auto then its also fine.

just my opinion

construction and property consultants : My company

2 hours ago, Beady said:

I also tried a Vantage with paddle shift - same old technology and also rubbish.

[pedant] The Vantage Sportshift gearbox is an automated manual ‘box. ie it is an hydraulically controlled clutch. 

The IPS is a torque-converter automatic gearbox.[/pedant] :geek:

So, different types of old technology. ;)

• Like 1

The IPS will still shift consistently at the same time whereas the manual is down to the driver. Also on 0-60 launches you'll batter the manual clutch. Hence why I don't think 0-60 times are a good measure. The speed of change for the IPS is documented somewhere but I can't be arsed to research it as on holiday.

As for the DSG, yeah, it's great but so what. You cannot get it on a Lotus so it's all a bit moot.  Spending the last four days blasting around the IoM with someone in an IPS 400 and I can tell you the IPS works fine and with the auto blips sounds epic!

Just choose the version you want or is available in the spec you want.

• Like 1