free hit
counters
Brake and Fog lights not working. '83 S3 n/a - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jimbo Bob

Brake and Fog lights not working. '83 S3 n/a

After nearly getting rear ended I realized my brake lights aren't working. And neither are my rear fog lights. Indicators work. Headlights ( sometimes a little reluctantly ) work as do small rear lights. 

Bulbs OK. Pulled fog light switch, seems to be working. Ground wires look good.

Suggestions?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Brake light switch on top of pedal?

not sure about fogs though...two separate issues maybe?

Check fuses,

then look at brake pedal,  follow it up, you will see a switch with 2 wires coming off it,  pull the wires off and use a spare bit of wire to connect them,  if your brake lights are on now, you need a new switch.

Fog lights,  my s3 only has one fog light ?  the other light unit is blanked off so you cant put a bulb in, 

Anyway,  if check the fuse does not work,  check the actual condtion of the back of the light units,  they can corrode badly nd this could also be your brake light problem.

Also check the wiring in the boot area for a break where it runs along the back of the car on the inside of the boot.

A

So I've confirmed that the lights unit are fine, the wires running to the lights are fine, the fog light switch is fine, the grounds are fine, the light bulbs are fine, the circuit breakers are fine.

Oddly when I turn on the light switch I can measure 6 volts going through the fog light switch.

I've pulled the seats and steering wheel to try and get access to the brake light switch. I can't see it let alone reach it.

I've got a old Cobra alarm/ immobiliser  circa 1996 in the car. The company sent me an installation guide which isn't much help figuring out where everything goes.

In the frunk (forward trunk) I have a set of modern fuses and under the dash several more modern fuses which i have no idea what are used for. Possibly the alarm and possibly the stereo.

Wondering  what to look at next. Giving the battery a good charge overnight incase it is a low battery but I doubt it as the car starts OK.

Tim,

for the switch, get into the reverse upside down lotus position and track the pedal stalk upwards. You should find the wiring going from the top of the pedal upwards into the main loom.

switch on mine is at the very top of the pedal bracket. I couldn’t really see mine either, it’s more of a feel thing...

good luck!

Found the reason why the brake lights aren't coming on. The switch has fallen apart. I saw a thread on this forum on this issue.  I think replacing it is going to be a pain. Why is there a capacitor attached to it? Not on the wiring diagram.

Still no joy why the fog lights aren't working. Bought an electronic wire tracer. Waste of time. Completely useless piece of garbage.  

Also I'd like to know why my headlights have a mind of their own and raise and lower only when they feel like it.

• Like 1

Do you still have 6v at the foglight as you mention above? If so, then I’d suggest cleaning all of the contacts you can find...fuse holders, connectors on the back of the fuse block etc. It’s a bit of a pig to get to them, but if you have 6v, then I would guess it’s a resistance issue.

if you do clean the fuse block cnx, make sure you get them back in EXACTLY the same place....I managed to get one back onto the wrong terminal (but apparently the same electrical contact on that side, but across the wrong fuse), and while everything still worked, it caused a huge drain on the battery.

i think the fogs also only come on when main lights are active, too.

Headlights likely to be an earthing issue? 

Might also be worth cleaning the relay and plug contacts (under front bonnet lhs). Mine were also misbehaving after rebuild, but have been fine since I did that.