free hit
counters
Evora Toe Links - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I thought that was only a problem with Elise/Exige cars, never heard of it on Evoras.

Whats the Mark on the adjusting nut, has it been hit with something?

It does rather look like it was banana shaped before it snapped - perhaps suggesting an impact of some kind. The threads below the break also seem to be distorted (closer together on the right than the left).

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

20 minutes ago, Colin P said:

It does rather look like it was banana shaped before it snapped - perhaps suggesting an impact of some kind. The threads below the break also seem to be distorted (closer together on the right than the left).

That could have ocurred at final break point. Reduced cross section leading to bending and failure.

I wonder if there is an increased loading with the change of tyres on later models?

28 minutes ago, Bruss said:

That could have ocurred at final break point. Reduced cross section leading to bending and failure.

Makes sense.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Ouch! Hopefully @spitfireengineering  will have an Evora upgrade kit like they do for the VX, Elise and Exige?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

15 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Ouch! Hopefully @spitfireengineering  will have an Evora upgrade kit like they do for the VX, Elise and Exige?

They do.

• Like 1

I'm not so much asking for an analysis of my break, I head an engineering team of structural, mechanical and metallurgical engineers, bt rather have any others seen this.  Yes the aftermarket provides an alternative, but I always assumed that it was from a desire to create a market based on Elise/Exige fears.

Yes, the threads were bend at a 28 deg angle, thus why i laid them out that way

Yes, impact loading was involved

Yes multi cracks formed at various times i)fatigue, ii) compression, iii) tensile

No, the "mark" is irrelevant as it is most probably a tool slip on the nut.

No measurable reduction in area, thread material is typically heat treated to very high yield and tight yield to tensile ratios thus little ductility

Don't see that todays OEM tires are a cause as theses cars back to the Series 1 have been tracked with R compound tires including semi slicks Hoosier A7, design and part numbers of the suspension arms and links are the same since Series 1.

Edited by Julian73

Thanks Julian. Just trying to get a handle on what's happened. I track mine  on cup 2's and haven't seen any sign of this but I havent done a DP test. I did look at the spitfire links and decided I would change mine out at some time, probably at my next suspension refresh.