free hit
counters
Optional third rear high level brake light - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Grizzly

Optional third rear high level brake light

Hello,

I want to fit one - has anybody any ideas as to which light unit looks good? There are just too many options out there!

Ideally just looking to front mount the unit to the rear glass door with double sided tape or similar. LED light bars seem to be the most popular and shouldn't obstruct the rear view much.

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My car had one it looked terrible but the PO must have liked it - choose the one you think looks best!

Hello,

I have fitted a 3rd high level brake light to my Excel. It is the one fitted to a  Peugot 107/Toyota Aygo/ Citroen C1. I chose this one because it is slim, sits on the body, not in it and has an integral washer nozzle.

It required a letter-box cut out over the rear door that allowed it to slot into the void above the boot inner roof. Took me all of an hour to do. It does, however, also require the internal courtesy light to be moved back as they clash (you didn't think it was going to be that easy did you?) and the "added" rubber strip at the top of the door to be trimmed. 

Brian

DSCN6134.JPG

DSCN6135.JPG

DSCN6138.JPG

• Like 1

Mine just sits on the back shelf between the headrests. Easy to get a wire down to the stoplight circuit too.

DSC03830.jpg

• Like 1

You're both right, of course, but what I was also interested in was the integral washer feature which the lamp unit I chose has

54 minutes ago, Denis247 said:

Mine just sits on the back shelf between the headrests. Easy to get a wire down to the stoplight circuit too.

DSC03830.jpg

Doesn't that make your back window go red when you brake because of the reflection?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

10 minutes ago, USAndretti42 said:

Doesn't that make your back window go red when you brake because of the reflection?

Never noticed it, must be the slope.

Just as an aside, I improved my existing back lights by replacing the two single filament brake light bulbs and the two single filament back light bulbs with four dual filament bulbs and holders.

I used bulb holders from a Rover 25 I think it was.

Really easy upgrade of the back lights with twice the lighting power as they are in different parts of the light lens.

Suitable for Esprit's as well.

• Like 2

On 22/01/2020 at 09:46, pbharcourt said:

Just as an aside, I improved my existing back lights by replacing the two single filament brake light bulbs and the two single filament back light bulbs with four dual filament bulbs and holders.

I used bulb holders from a Rover 25 I think it was.

Really easy upgrade of the back lights with twice the lighting power as they are in different parts of the light lens.

Suitable for Esprit's as well.

Dont forget to uprate the fuse 💥