free hit
counters
Draining the Oil Cooler when Swapping from Semi-synthetic to Fully-Synthetic Oil - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jcx

Draining the Oil Cooler when Swapping from Semi-synthetic to Fully-Synthetic Oil

As my first service approaches I note that routinely the engine oil is drained but the oil in the oil cooler is not drained.

As the first service replaces the Semi-synthetic ‘running-in’ oil with ‘Fully-Synthetic’ oil we will end up with a blend of the two oils and it is possible that any particles picked up by the running-in oil as the engine beds in may remain in the oil located in the oil cooler when the engine is drained.  When the engine restarts and the oil recirculates those particles will also circulate.

Am I therefore wise to consider draining both oil cooler and engine for a wholesale change to fully synthetic oil.  The cost of the oil is not material in the decision; doing the very best thing for my car’s health and performance is my priority.

TIA

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had to face same problem month ago. Going from 10w60 to 0w40. 

After warming up we drained oil from engine and filled with 0w40, keep running for 10mins then drained again and filled again with 0w40 including new oil filter.. I didnt want to disconnect oil cooler or hoses. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, notabene said:

I had to face same problem month ago. Going from 10w60 to 0w40. 

After warming up we drained oil from engine and filled with 0w40, keep running for 10mins then drained again and filled again with 0w40 including new oil filter.. I didnt want to disconnect oil cooler or hoses. 

Hmmm good plan.  I didn't think of that.  That may be a good compromise.

Hi George. I think the 410 has both. 1 each side of the front clam. 

So Dave @Seriouslylotuswhat is your opinion on my original question? 

Should i drain the oil from the cooler too so that the full fill is >95% fresh fully synthetic oil or is the 60% fully-synthetic and 40% sem-synthetic mix nothing to worry about in your opinion?

One alternative option is to drain the engine and then refill with good stuff - run the engine for 10 minutes to mix it all up and then drain the engine again to refill with fresh.  That would give me approx 84% fresh fully-synthetic oil across the 10 litres or so held in the engine and the cooler.

TIA