free hit
counters
Cabin Air Extraction - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello all,

A simple question asking where one finds the point at which cabin air is exhausted outboard? After review of myriad photos and diagrams it appears that the points of exit from cabin are vents placed either side of the bulkhead cover upper area, or possibly instead placed in the headlining trim pieces above the doors. That said I wish to know where beyond those the air makes it's way to atmosphere.

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are vents in the bottom of the doors, in cold weather you can feel the draft sometimes. Not sure there are any at the bulkhead, never noticed anything.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On the turbo G-cars, cabin air is exhausted through the b-pillars finishers just aft of the doors (notice the slits). You correctly spotted the interior air path.

The finishers contained open-cell foam to reduce wind noise. Unless it has been replaced already, that foam is surely disintegrated by now.

On Stevens cars the cabin air is removed through vents in the doors. There are holes in the bottom of the door cards, and a vent on the trail edge of the door skin (above the latches).

On our Stevens, I've found that it is necessary to keep the interior fan ON for the system to work. (There is no high pressure area at the base of the windshield, as on more common but less sleek vehicles). 😊

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thanks for that, gents, I had spotted vents in Stevens cars doors sometime in the past but overlooked them for this purpose lately. Interesting choice  to locate them in the doors as one might expect a higher position would facilitate convective flow, particularly when stationary.  Having done a major repair to the firewall ply in my S2 after it rotted significantly due to water exposure I cast a critical eye at the B pillar slots as a possible point of entry for rain water. The open cell foam within the the trims cannot be helpful in terms of airflow, will absorb water possibly conveying it inward, and is perhaps not the best solution for wind noise. I'm contemplating  alternative outlet solutions in this mad, global effort at restoration.

Cheers