free hit
counters
Just Completed the Fireball James Bond's Switzerland Rally - full report - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
slewthy

Just Completed the Fireball James Bond's Switzerland Rally - full report

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sorry - dont know why those images dont show. Can anyone see them if you click on them??

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Not working for me. You can drag and drop the file - seems like you are linking the wrong thing.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures, sounds like a fun trip :)

OK will try again....sorted I think

Great write-up and photos. Dead pleased you managed to make it with your son and that you both had a good time. I will try to do something like that with my Eclat in the future :)

I had a look at this myself but then decided to chicken out! Gutted now. Looks brilliant! Congrats to you for taking the plunge. :unworthy::unworthy:

I also had a look at this, but didn't want to camp :(

Great to see. I have never had any reason to think that my car will ever let me down. I would say that it has actually been one of the most reliable cars I have had. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Great coverage a wonderful event, I am rather jealous as I have been to a number of the places but they look much better with the ESPRIT in the picture!

Brilliant.... well done!! Planning my trip for next year right now 👍👍👍👍

Stunning pictures. The last one in Füssen with Neuschwanstein in the background could have been taken in front of our friends house.

1F06028F-4D01-40E6-92D2-B32C54F8E7F6.jpeg

• Like 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Looks like a great trip.  Always good to see a classic Lotus taking on a road trip.  Good on you for taking the plunge!

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Well, that was it - everyone we talked to at our first stop in Reims said were were mad/crazy to even think we could manage the journey. But the plucky little Esprit just kept on going. It was only at the bottom of the Grimsel pass that I started to doubt - not so much brake fade as complete loss as we reached the T junction in Gletch!  Gently 'glide' into a carpark space opposite the Rhone Glacier Hotel - lucky it was slightly uphill! Checked all discs, pads, brake fluid, vacuum lines - all fine just cooked. After pausing for a drink in the hotel, we were good to go again. Happened to a couple of other cars it seemed - surprising just how much braking there is on the way down. Took it easy on Furka and Stelvio and the issue didnt return.

Great photos and report of what must have been a superbe trip!!

I also looked at participating, but like @ChrisJ wasn't too keen on camping. Not surprised your Esprit did well, I wouldn't expect any less of a well maintained one. 😉 

Greetz,

Filip

PS: What is the link between Neuschwanstein and Bond? I know the castle was used for some other movies...

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Thanks Filip, 

The camping was an issue - space wise and pain in the neck wise but because (nearly) everyone did it, it was fine. It also kept the cost down. It might, however, have been nice to collapse into a bar at the end of a gruelling day's drive without having to think about putting up the tent, even though it was only a 10 minute job. 

The organisers are considering offering the option of using ready to use tents etc next year (is that glamping?) which might be quite attractive. We could bring back more beer glasses that way!! 🍺

9 minutes ago, Escape said:

PS: What is the link between Neuschwanstein and Bond? I know the castle was used for some other movies...

Well, its slightly tenuous -

Neuschwanstein castle was where Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was filmed. There the links begin.......

Written By Ian Fleming for his son Caspar (affectionately known as 003 and1/2) [Tragically, Fleming never got to see the printed versions of his Magic car books as he died in 1964 on Caspar's 12th birthday. Caspar was deeply affected and troubled, eventually killing himself, aged just 23.]

Roald Dahl was involved in the screenplay for CCBB and the adaptation of You Only Live Twice. 

Produced by Albert Broccoli (Barbara Broccoli was an extra in the fairground scene of CCBB)

The car was designed by Ken Adam who was responsible for the HQ in Dr No

Starring Gert Frobe as the Baron (Goldfinger)

Also featured Desmond Llewellyn (Q) as Coggins the scrap man

...there may be more?

• Like 1

And I thought it would be just some obscure reference. ☺️

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 hours ago, slewthy said:

Thanks Filip, 

The camping was an issue - space wise and pain in the neck wise but because (nearly) everyone did it, it was fine. It also kept the cost down. It might, however, have been nice to collapse into a bar at the end of a gruelling day's drive without having to think about putting up the tent, even though it was only a 10 minute job. 

The organisers are considering offering the option of using ready to use tents etc next year (is that glamping?) which might be quite attractive. We could bring back more beer glasses that way!! 🍺

Hmmm …. interesting re the "nearly everyone did it", as I contacted the organisers when the first thread was posted asking where the campsites were so that I could book a hotel close by. I was basically told to go away and book a tour with another company. I didn't pursue it further.

That's interesting. The coordinates for the next campsite are not giving out until the night before, possibly to prevent this from happening? One team was overheard having a heated debate about possibly this and put themselves up in a hotel on at least one night. Another team was so behind time that they elected to bed down and reach the camp site the following morning. Many of us felt that the schedule was too tight and certainly the first day could have been extended to two. 

5 hours ago, slewthy said:

. Took it easy on Furka and Stelvio and the issue didnt return.

That’s the trip/route in the Evora I’m doing next August. 

- more pics needed 😊👍

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Sure!

These are the type of roads encountered!! The first time we met these was as we dealt with a pass late in the day (dark) and it came as quite a shock!

276361832_roughroad.thumb.jpg.e4065814fd51cc5aeff74b9f0884c7e7.jpg

Goldfinger Hotel (Grimsel & Furka)

836773360_grimselpasshotel.thumb.jpg.935f62fb99f705b87498ec7001240627.jpg

• Like 1