free hit
counters
Grand Tour III Some Help needed for France - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Grand Tour III Some Help needed for France

Ok... so started too plan next years trip and its looking a bit like this...

Ferry to Santander then drive right across the Pyrenees and end up near Perpignan. From here the plan is to drive across to Nice/Monaco then drive back up through the French Alps the problem is (well not really a problem)  I’ve never driven this route so I’m looking for suggestions/help as to the best route, up to say Geneva. Then I can decide a route home through either Switzerland or France.

All help gratefully received 👍👍👍👍

cheers

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Col de la bonnette and then the route from there to Nice is excellent. 

Col de Turini is near there. 

There is also a road nicknamed “red rock road” I think it is that youbuters bang on about near Monaco too that I’d try and find on my next visit. 

If you go through Germany Baden-Baden to freudenstadt is awesome too. Especially if you can chase some bikes. 

😃

28 minutes ago, RedViper said:

There is also a road nicknamed “red rock road” I think it is that youbuters bang on about near Monaco too that I’d try and find on my next visit. 

Back in 2016 I drove down to Nice to attend the Monaco Historic GP. On the return trip I drove what I think is this road along the Gorge de Daluis. West of Nice take the D6202 north, stay on this road until you pass through Entrevaux, shortly after turn right onto the D2202 which runs through the gorge which is carved through red rock, I guess a sort of sandstone. 

After the gorge road I then went over the Col des Champs from St Martin d'Entraunes to Colmar but if driving a low sports car I would avoid this road. On the decent to Colmar there are several quite severe drainage gullies running across the road, had to negotiate them very carefully in the Evora.

Defo take the Route des Grandes Alpes from Nice up to Geneva. I would suggest the following passes:

- Drive up from Nice through the Gorge de Daluis as Geoffers suggested.

- Col de da Bonette, crossing Col du Valberg to switch the valleys.

- Col du Vars

- Col d'Izoard

- Col du Galibier

- Iseran

- Cormet de Roselind

Plan at least one nights stay along the route, no way you can reasonably do the full route in one day.

On your crossing from Perpignan you may want to detour through Avergne and the Gorges du Tarn, great driving routes and much more than an alternative to the Autoroute.

Also, why not stop by to visit us and the Lotus Museum Little of my friend Marc in the Luberon.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SO thanks to the above the Hull/Swiss/France legs are done. I now need a good route across the Pyranees from say Perpignan to Santander. Anyone done this and can offer some guidance?

thanks as always....

22 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

SO thanks to the above the Hull/Swiss/France legs are done. I now need a good route across the Pyranees from say Perpignan to Santander. Anyone done this and can offer some guidance?

thanks as always....

I have been told there are great roads there, particularly on the Spannish side. I believe the D115/ C-38 between Le Boulou and Ripoll is a good start. Then Andorra  etc.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Depends on the date - Andorra was one long traffic jam when I went there at the height of summer.

• Gold FFM

If you find yourself south of Andorra and in need of an overnight stop, this place is great for petrolheads (and guitar nuts). A good few 'interesting' roads in the neighbourhood too, :driving:.

http://www.ramonparkhotel.com/en/ 

441939740_DavidHoliday2018048.thumb.JPG.6a8cb33c35187c0e0ec3a6ad528456d4.JPG

2058860633_DavidHoliday2018039.thumb.JPG.6e2040219ac52cee2e4713821ad9c59d.JPG

2065332699_DavidHoliday2018046.thumb.JPG.ed31a70f474c78ea0dc1852f51e50f15.JPG