free hit
counters
Struggling to remove HU - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I'm struggling to remove the HU from my Evora.

I've got the dash trim off and removed the 4 bolts holding the HU mounting frame. But no matter what I do the right hand side of the HU gets stuck against something very solid after pulling the HU out about 2-3cm. The feeling is two pieces of metal hitting each other and there's a dull clunk when it gets to this point so I don't think it's cables getting stretched.

Any ideas how to get beyond this point? I've been messing about for around 90 minutes.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

See my thread bur I didn't have any real problem once those 4 screws are removed. On the Alpine 520r their isn't a cage but two seperate side plates that are screwed to the hu. As you pull the hu out, those side plates can catch on the sides of the fixed dash facia.

Manouvre one side forward if you can, then the other.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Ok.

If you have a full cage rather than the brackets I have, it is possible that the cage has been pushed in with the side cut out tabs engaged in such a way that they catch on the metal surround of the trim fascia. These tabs are often triangular shaped and cut on two sides to enable them to be bent outwards to 'catch' to fix the cage in place.  See if you can get a slim metal tool down between the fascia surround and the cage itself just where it stops moving.

Other than that it may be a whole front fascia removal job. Not difficult but it is time consuming.

• Like 1

When I changed mine, I seem to remember that there were some screws on the old HU that caught up on the frame as I pulled it out.  Is there anything that you can use to act as a wedge to move the mounting frame out from the side of the HU casing as you gently wiggle and pull it out? You’ll need to push the unit back in before you try it in case the screw head is caught around something. That’s what worked for me (I can’t remember if I used a small screwdriver or the trim removal tool).

Edited by Ledlights
  • Like 1

After much faffing about I've found someone had put a cap head bolt into one of the mounting threads. This was hitting some of the fiberglass dash and needed to be removed before you could remove the HU.
🤬

• Like 2