free hit
counters
7 months in my Evora - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Smapmap

7 months in my Evora

8 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

Lol Bibs 

if only if only !!!  One of these days I will get to see these lights ! Just been on the Manx TT on the famed mountain route, in the clear morning sunshine what a view but then what a frightening prospect of travelling of 70+ mph during race days 😳

I am surprised not too see more performance cars on the island testing their skills and capabilities ?

I go out there with @Colin P and some other Lotus owners through the other websites arranged trip.  Usually about 10 cars and I can assure you every Elise, Exige and Evora that is on those trips is thoroughly tested to the limits of the driver (and in my case usually beyond!). Navigating "local" commuters (and motorbikes coming the other way at +++mph) when you are at times potentially touching (1xx mph) on an open public road over a mountain takes a lot of concentration to make sure that you stay safe and do not put anyone else in danger by stupid moves etc. and yes, you do need to watch for the cyclists just around the corner too!  You need to be 100% concentrating and focused all the time, no distractions or looning about, and especially make sure that you stick under the speed limits (20, 30, 40, 50mph) when they are posted to protect the villagers, school children etc. The speeds that the locals achieve over the mountain, in plain ordinary cars at times is astounding, obviously they know the road well, but still, there is a lot of skilled, fast drivers, on that wee island and some of them are a joy to follow at a safe distance and learn from, if you can keep up with their astravan of course! :driving:

It's amazing that it all works so well, especially as i believet he local kids can start driving earlier than on the mainland, but they are also stricted speed limited for their first year or so too, and it does seem to make people more aware and you get less of the careless, stupid, unfocused driving you see every day on the mainland...

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I go out there with @Colin P and some other Lotus owners through the other websites arranged trip.  Usually about 10 cars and I can assure you every Elise, Exige and Evora that is on those trips is thoroughly tested to the limits of the driver (and in my case usually beyond!). Navigating "local" commuters (and motorbikes coming the other way at +++mph) when you are at times potentially touching (1xx mph) on an open public road over a mountain takes a lot of concentration to make sure that you stay safe and do not put anyone else in danger by stupid moves etc. and yes, you do need to watch for the cyclists just around the corner too! 

recipe for disaster...

11 hours ago, C8RKH said:

i believe he local kids can start driving earlier than on the mainland, but they are also stricted speed limited for their first year or so too, 

They can drive at 16. When they pass their test they get 6 or 12 months on a "P" plate and any car showing a P plate cannot do more than 60mph regardless of who is driving.

7 hours ago, TheKevlarKid said:

recipe for disaster...

Only during TT as some of the bikers do seem to leave their brains at home - usually the Germans funnily. Driving the mountain or some of the other better roads TT week is not recommended.

It's a really good few days and an opportunity to enjoy the cars safely, if quickly. We used to have a briefing from the local Police Inspector, but he retired a couple of years back. "Drive as fast as you like, this is the place to enjoy your cars, but remember there is a line between fast and dangerous - keep the right side of it"

I still remember my first year out there when I pulled over to let a local in a Polo overtake me. The locals really do not hang about. Another lasting memory is following a full size Tipper Lorry round Windy corner on his speed limiter.

• Like 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Yes I can testify to the above comments about the local drivers so I just kept to my own safe speed 

just been around some other parts of the TT route and you sadly see the flower tributes on roadside 

if anyone coming to IOM soon be warned in Douglas the seafront road is all dug up and a nite mare to park outside the hotels and the police are handing out daily parking tickets to cars parked in roadworks 

one day like to come back with the Evora I wonder if there are any lotus owners on the island ? 

52 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

one day like to come back with the Evora I wonder if there are any lotus owners on the island ? 

We know half a dozen or so. May I suggest the next IOM trip, but someone else is organising next years as I’m a bit tied up this year. Can give you a shout when organised. 

2 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

Yes I can testify to the above comments about the local drivers so I just kept to my own safe speed 

just been around some other parts of the TT route and you sadly see the flower tributes on roadside 

if anyone coming to IOM soon be warned in Douglas the seafront road is all dug up and a nite mare to park outside the hotels and the police are handing out daily parking tickets to cars parked in roadworks 

As @Colin P says we know several local Lotus owners - bloody great people they are too. Douglas is not the place to be. There are too many good roads to stay in the toon and many of the best are not on the TT circuit!  The A36 being one of the finest in an Evora 4xx as you accelerate from its beginning, at full throttle, touching the brakes for the 90degree right hander at Go Ape as you then accelerate at full warp speed, max revs in 2nd, 3rd and then 4th to burst out of the forest into the sunshine like the Millennium Falcon in Return of the Jedi with the Ewok on board. The Sloch. My god. What a road. Mighty. Mighty. Mighty.... Just one of so many. The Island makes the Evo triangle feel like a soggy wet babies nappy in your hand! Smelly, small and uncomfortable!  My god I can't wait to go back next year....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

54 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The Sloch. My god. What a road. Mighty. Mighty. Mighty.... Just one of so many. 

Just taking it easy on the middle bit of the Sloc. Sorry about the orientation but wife had an issue holding the phone still. 

• Love 1

If your going this time of the year ( Oct half term )  in two years time I am up for it , only as I combine work so my ferry and hotel costs are all covered ! Lol 

must say enjoyed driving around IOM especially as weather been fab 

Lotus + Scottish roads are a match made in heaven!

I managed to get the starter motor replaced so all good on that front. Leven gave me the use of one of their courtesy cars for a few days which was great - apart from the fact I got rear ended on the M8! :(

Anyway - I still get the CEL/traction control/limp mode issue. I can work around it by wiggling the connector on the throttle body, so I think there is a dodgy connection throwing the error.

The car has had a replacement throttle body, and Leven tried straightening out the pins on the connector but it's still happening. Not sure if the wiring has some localised corrosion or if it's just a dodgy connector which needs replacing. Fingers crossed one more visit will sort it and it's a simple fix. Think this must be the 6th time the car has been in for this specific issue. Frustrating.

An update on my limp mode issue.

Leven cleaned the throttle body connector, checked the pins and the wiring and all seemed good - however the car was still going into limp mode randomly. What was making it harder was the lack of error codes. Seemed to be some sort of ghost event.

I took it back in last week, and they were able to reproduce the error  and now think I need a new throttle body. At £2k a pop I'm glad I've got a 1ytr dealer warranty!! Fingers crossed this will finally sort it.

To correct an earlier post- I had a new throttle installed - not a new throttle body - as they thought it was the drive by wire throwing the error.