free hit
counters
Ready to off road - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi guys,

i fitted the lotus damper program kit to my car. Eibach  springs and Beilsteins dampers and set it to the lower setting. All the bushes were replaced.  Everything is in the car including half a tank of fuel. Ok the passenger wasn’t sitting in but I measured 220mm of clearance from front  and rear chassis to ground. It seems way too high. The spring and damper part numbers are all correct for the car although it has still not been driven but I am struggling to see how it will settle by 50-60mm in height. Can it really settle that much or is there a problem here? Thoughts greatly welcomed.   

Cheers 

0C942F1E-C876-4B08-BC35-40CD9859CA16.jpeg

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It does look high. What year is the car?

The later cars (Turbo Esprits definitely, so I assume N/As as well) did sit a lot higher than the earlier ones. Check out the gallery in my profile for comparison between an 82 car (mine) and an 87 HC.

It’s an 86na. 

The book says 170mm from ground to chassis. 

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

Going from memory here -- aren't you supposed to torque all of the nuts and bolts with the car on the ground and someone sitting in it? 

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Nic,

Have you rolled the car any meaningful distance since parts installed, or is the photo showing the car just moved from the garage after the work? Any car lifted to the point where tires are clear of pavement will refuse to settle until driven some distance. This is due to the tire scrub inherent in the suspension articulation. 

Nice car!

I have heard that the Lotus developed suspension did make cars sit quite high. Would love to see more more pictures of this car - looking like an S1 / S2 but originally an S3? 

15 hours ago, Tony K said:

Going from memory here -- aren't you supposed to torque all of the nuts and bolts with the car on the ground and someone sitting in it? 

mine sat high after rebuild. However we left all suspension through bolts slightly loose, drove the car for 1/4 mile to let everything settle then tightened up all bolts with two people in car and half tank of fuel, its 170mm now as book says.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will give it a chance to settle. Driving with the bolts loose sounds brave. Not sure I have big enough underpants for that. The bolts are all loose and I only took it down the driveway and back once. So perhaps not enough. 

@henry, yes it was an S3 on the chassis plate but with a new front end and a new chassis from a previous accident . The engine was from a destroyed 2.2 and so I backdated the car in its honor and kind of sorted its identity crisis ;) Its best of both worlds now, S2 up top and inside and s3 below. 

IMO down the drive and back should be fine. 

Nic, when suggesting bolts loose I mean just without Nylocs drawn tight enough to pinch the pivot bushings to the chassis. Nylocs in good condition will not loosen off quickly so I would drive the car in that state just a short distance to allow motion to settle the car then tighten up as mentioned above with typical load on board.

BTW someone should say it, nice looking S2. Gold wheel on a white car look very cool.

@steve ( dr doom). I understand. I guess my brave pants don’t need to be so big.  I will give that a go. 

@christian. Thanks for the kind comment. 🙂