free hit
counters
Exige 350 oversteering - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello Guys, some help would be appreciated.  Drove the car on track the first time and the rear felt loose. Off gas into corner at limit and exit corner with moderate gas at Apex the rear end would slide. https://youtu.be/ZPpWEiqmxoE

The car is 100% stock aside from adding harness and baffled oil pan. Here are the settings on geometry.

Tires: brand new cup2 215/265 (hot temp. 31psi f/r)

Front camber -0.5, total toe out -0.08

Rear Camber -2.06, total toe in 0.36

Is this normal from what i described? I thought stock setting is understeer bias (Need to improve before adding more front negative camber)

To put in perspective, fastest m2 on the same day did 1:53, and my first time with exige did 1:56. You could tell my car needs rear traction from my YouTube video.

IMG_20190920_085710.jpg

Edited by Team Lotus
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm not so sure the geometry is the issue, try smoother inputs with your steering, at the moment you're turning in too early to most corners very aggressively, having to then wind off steering lock to try to balance the car, then turn in again. If you did one smooth steering input and set the car, the car would be a lot more balanced and not overwhelm the tyres as much, gaining a decent amount of time.

• Like 1

As said above. Turning in too early, which is pushing you wide of the apex, you are then coming off gas which is causing the front to bite and the rear go light, then turning again to hit the apex. By the time you exit and are back on the gas the car is not balanced, the weight is in the wrong place and you light up the rears.

• Like 1

Thanks @W31SSN and @GFWilliams, definitely have rooms to improve. 

However, couple long stretch corners i don't feel the 1125kg exige has much traction over an audi RS4 with 1720kg (the car I pass only because he let go on gas). I follow this RS4 for two laps and straight line acceleration is pretty much even, I only gain up to him on selection with quick left/right turns. I thought lightness is suppose to outpace car like RS4 with ease.

agree with others, coming off the gas will cause the rear to go very light, @Jack Layton told me off on the one occasion I broke mid corner unsettling the car; haven't done it again! He really helped me to understand when to add a little gas to balance the car.

Try keeping the car in race mode until you are more comfortable with the racing line and definitely add a pro to the mix, they are worth their weight in gold. 

In a straight line the standard v6 will be the same as most performance cars however once you learn how late to brake, to transition the car's weight and power out of a corner, very few will keep up with you.

If you add nitrons or ohlins then the weight transfer is much less - standard set up sees quite a bit of roll/diving under hard braking etc. 

• Like 1

I'll echo what @BatMobile said, I had one session with Jack last time I was on track and found a lot of time (several seconds).  I then compared data to a lap that David Pittard did in my car and gained more time again.  Well worth getting an instructor to help with driving style. I thought I was doing okay before, but when they can knock off that much time it's quite humbling. 

• Like 1

@Team Lotus one other thought is get your geo checked.

cup2s aren’t standard on the 350 so you could also have a case where the current set up isn’t 100% right.

• Like 1

Car got Geo done before track day but after removed all the shims on left front corner, the most camber they get is -0.45.  I thought exige 350 suppose to come with -0.8 from factory?? Car only has 4500km, perhaps springs need to settle after more mileage?

Years ago the Exige was extensivly tested by "Fast Lap" and their professional race driver Christian Menzel - he experienced and criticized exactly the same behaviour that you described: oversteer under breaking that turns into understeer exiting the corner. Characterization of the problem starts at 01:08

The reason for the annoying switch between understeer and oversteer while breaking and accelerating: the springs are too soft.

The solution:

Get yourself a Nitron or Öhlins chassis with stiffer springs (perfect solution is offered by KomoTec with springs a little softer than the Nitron OEM)

Edited by Wilbert Camshaft
  • Like 1

On 06/10/2019 at 06:08, Wilbert Camshaft said:

Years ago the Exige was extensivly tested by "Fast Lap" and their professional race driver Christian Menzel - he experienced and criticized exactly the same behaviour that you described: oversteer under breaking that turns into understeer exiting the corner. Characterization of the problem starts at 01:08

The reason for the annoying switch between understeer and oversteer while breaking and accelerating: the springs are too soft.

The solution:

Get yourself a Nitron or Öhlins chassis with stiffer springs (perfect solution is offered by KomoTec with springs a little softer than the Nitron OEM)

Thanks for that explanation Wilbert, as seen the video, but not being able to understand German, wondered why the time wasn't quicker

2017 the Exige V6 was tested again with a lot of KomoTec upgrades applied (EX460, Öhlins chassis, close ratio final drive, Drexler plate taype LSD, Big brakes) - the lap time was a striking 1:48:80

Unfortunately the review is only available in german as well, but it's entertaining and informative anyway:

BTW: here you can see how overly tight springs impair the mechanical grip of your chassis, that's the reason why KomoTec replaces the OEM springs of the nitron chassis with a slightly softer version

Unfortunately this review is only available in german as well, but it's entertaining and informative anyway:

Wonder how much quicker a standard V6 would be with just a set up change. Maybe just more front negative camber would reduce understeer and that could be wort a couple of seconds?

Ops car isn't running much for track work with cup 2s