free hit
counters
which one would you have? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tom kilner

which one would you have?

My parents owned one of these in the mid 70s - basically a large mini with all the good bits removed:20191008_111225.thumb.jpg.be84cfff15935787f1e964bf103a1e0f.jpg

And then for a price comparison, 20191008_112214.jpg.18249eea5b18e28581fe3bec39604250.jpg

Looks like the austin was a better investment.

Unfortunately it fell apart quite quickly.

Who'd have guessed irony would be worth more than style? 😂

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Elite and eclat are fetching decent money,  the excel will catch up imo when the market of  elites and eclats dry up,  wheels would put me right off that car though !  never liked mini lights lol

• Like 1

A

I went on holiday with my mate in an 1100 in 1993. (I was 17).  It was at least a VDP on twin carbs with a heady 55bhp. It started to overheated in the balmy scottish summer at an indicated 82mph on the M9, so we had to back off a bit...

Happy memories 🙂

I'd have the one with the biggest t......

Oh. Different topic. Sorry. :getmecoat:

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

The Austin 1100 and 1300 were fine cars in their day. Cheap, simple, reliable. I bought a 1300GT version for £1,200 in 2003. When new, from factory they had the same spec as the Mini Cooper. Amazing suspension, revvy engine and comfy interior. It was a genuine 30,000 miler from new. I kept it for 5 years and sold it for £3,200. Probably worth £8K now. 

For £8K now, I would take an Excel but I think the running costs of the Excel would exceed a sorted 1300GT. My Excel has been brilliant but I suspect this years MOT/cambelt/water pump/service etc... will be £1K and most likely a tad more. Not that I mind at all. 

Justin

Come on Justin..... £1K for a waterpump and cambelt on an excel....?!? Thats just not in the spirit of this room of TLF - get the spanners out!

Less than 2 hrs on a Saturday morning to a man of your calibre!! 🙂

• Like 1

My first mini had an 1100 engine fitted to which I gas flowed the cylinder head, fitted a twin choke 28/36 Weber carburettor & a long centre branch exhaust manifold mated to a straight through Cooper exhaust. Oh, happy days. :driving:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

4 hours ago, Dunc said:

Come on Justin..... £1K for a waterpump and cambelt on an excel....?!? Thats just not in the spirit of this room of TLF - get the spanners out!

Less than 2 hrs on a Saturday morning to a man of your calibre!!

Ha, ha...….as Clint Eastwood said 'A man has to know his limitations'. Dirt under the fingernails has never been my style. I console myself with knowing I have done my bit to keep the British economy (and my car) in fine fettle.

Justin

• Haha 1

The 1100/1300 was the best-selling car in Britain at one time with over 2.1 million sold worldwide. 

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

13 hours ago, MPx said:

.  Sadly wrote it off in a fit of enthusiasm in excess of skill.... 

I had a mate in college who did exactly the same, including writing it off. :rofl:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

On 09/10/2019 at 08:15, On a whim said:

I bought the excel - it now has speedlines fitted.

Picking it up later

Looks like you may have bagged a real bargain, and Phew with regards to fitting some wheels of an appropriate style.

• Like 1

The excel looks like a great deal,  and you can look more like Gambit when you climb out rather than Frank Spencer 😁