free hit
counters
Crunching into 5th - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Crunching into 5th

Quick update. Just did a first track day after the gearbox fluid change. Not even one occasion of crunching detected. I was also a bit more gentle when shifting from the 4th to the 5th.

Being same "gentle" before the fluid change cause crunching. So it is a bit better for sure. Plan is to do trackday or two and change the fluid again. 

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
45 minutes ago, Martrack said:

Which fluid did you finally use ?

Motul Gear 300 LS 75W90 only, no additives. 

@Paul_D I was there just helping (i.e. watching 😂). Friend of mine is a certified race cars mechanic and has some professional tools to do it. He did it. 

• 1 month later...

I think you'll find the plastic pads on the shift forks are buggered.  I just had a 3rd & 4th issue on mine and that was the fault, SSC replaced the plastic with a brass pad and installed an LSD while the gearbox was open and its perfect now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/05/2022 at 06:40, jacks1071 said:

I think you'll find the plastic pads on the shift forks are buggered.  I just had a 3rd & 4th issue on mine and that was the fault, SSC replaced the plastic with a brass pad and installed an LSD while the gearbox was open and its perfect now.

Thx for the info. So it should be checked when integrating LSD :) 

On 27/05/2022 at 20:59, Troyboy said:

Aren't these cars still under warranty? 

Yes, but I wouldn't put back plastic part. My thinking is if this was a problem on a new car (well, 1000-2000 miles), it will be repeated in 1000-2000 miles again. 

Just add I didn't want to put the plastic part back in either.  Had I pushed for warranty I am sure they would have put it back to OEM spec and I would have been back there in another 4000kms.  By changing the plastic parts for brass pads the problem is fixed permanently.  I used the opportunity to install an LSD but I probably would not have bothered if the gearbox didn't need to be pulled to fix the shift fork pads.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 06:40, jacks1071 said:

Are those brass pads some standard part others could order or is this a custom solution?

Definitely not standard, standard is plastic.  If you're not in Australia you could send the shift forks to Simply Sports Cars in Sydney.  They could possibly supply brand-new ones with the modification.

• Like 1