free hit
counters
Fuel Filler Vent Pipes S2 Elite - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
The Nut

Fuel Filler Vent Pipes S2 Elite

Hi to all,

Is there a technical reason the fuel filler vent pipes go around the boot on the longest possible route to exit the car behind the rear number plate. Both sides do the same thing route wise, ie around the boot,  means the two vent pipes run along side each other as they pass behind the rear wiper motor from left and right fillers. The Éclat has the same pipe run and its only got one filler.

Regards to all, John

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tony,

Thanks, that makes sense. So need to buy some more tubing.

John

John,

Please read my thoughts on the "breather / vent" tubes. Can't answer your question, but if an NRV is fitted to let air in and not let fumes, and hence petrol, out the tubes need only be run to a safe air intake location away from exhaust fumes.

Brian

hi to all,  finally took out the existing tubing as you can see it fell apart as it was touched, however I did find a oneway valve lurking behind one of the filler caps, 6mm id at one end 8mm id at the other and there is no 8mm id tubing in the boot. Interestingly there is only one of them. You can just make out the ball bearing in the valve photo.

I have put the new tubes in as per the original install both pipes running all the way around the boot and exiting just behind the number plate.

Any suggestions greatly received.

john 

Old tubing with valve.jpg

Valve.jpg

I knew there was a non return valve in the breather piping - and just behind one filler - the one on the offside, so I was not dreaming

Following a discussion with Excel V8 we have decided not to fit any sort of valve in the breather pipes, but to run tubing from both fillers over the top of the tank (through the cavity above the rear interior window) and vent somewhere safe outside the car

Simple and cheap

Brian

Is there a risk with an open breather pipe that the fuel will degrade faster if the car is unused over winter? Also that condensation will form in the tank leading to water in the fuel and corrosion of the tank itself?

11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Following a discussion with Excel V8 we have decided not to fit any sort of valve in the breather pipes

Brian

Actually I'm fitting a motorsport double ball vent valve in my breather line.

Pete

3 minutes ago, tom kilner said:

Is there a risk with an open breather pipe that the fuel will degrade faster if the car is unused over winter? Also that condensation will form in the tank leading to water in the fuel and corrosion of the tank itself?

The vent is always open.  The roll-over valve only acts as a valve when upside down, so nothing will change.  My tank was badly corroded from the outside but virtually pristine inside after 45 years!

Pete

Hi to all,

Interestingly my Elite only has one valve on the Near Side. it is 1/2 off the filer vent pipe.

John