free hit
counters
A Pillar Sticky Tape is C**p - Ideas please - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
blueg33

A Pillar Sticky Tape is C**p - Ideas please

Hi Guys

I am fed up of the A pillar trim foam tape failing to stick properly and causeing the trim to flutter when driving.

Has anybody tried alternatives such as silicone sealant, silkafix etc.  Failing that, any tips that mean the tape will stay stuck even on a hot day in Spain.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Seems to go on straight and sticks down really flat without any force.  One of them is only about 6 months old.

OK, so these have been a bit of a nightmare on my 400.....

It started when the car was less that a year old.  I noticed the usual cracks around the area were the fixing hole is.

These were changed under warranty but I waited for the repair and arguably it was too quick and they lifted soon after.  To add insult to injury, I noticed a stress crack in the windscreen where the original ones had been prised off.

So attempt number 2 also included a replacement screen (under warranty).  The car was also left overnight to get a good bond.

These lasted a few months but one lifted again on one of the very warm days that we had around July.

The car is left in the same place when at work, with the sun shining down on one side of the car all day and the consensus between myself and Ben at Silverstone is that they warp in the hot sun.

So attempt number 3 has since taken place and the car hasn't really been used on any really warm days yet.  Importantly the Lotus field engineer passed on a small mod that the factory guys do to the trim before they fit on new cars.  Apparently this enables the trim to sit flatter and not naturally want to warp or pop up away from the mounting position.

I'm sure Ben could advise further on that, but at the moment I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!! 

I fitted a replacement trim myself and that has lifted. I need to have another go at it sometime. I think the problem lies with the spigot location at the top where the trim slots under the roof panel. This spigot location imparts a bending force into the trim itself which over time causes the tape to debond, particularly so when it's hot. I reckon the 'mod' would be to remove some of the spigot, that's what I plan to do next time anyhow 😁