free hit
counters
Just a quick hello - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
brengun79

Just a quick hello

Evening all, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm not really a forum veteran so unsure on the correct etiquette but here goes.

Currently a maserati and ducati owner from chester and making the leap, fingers crossed over to the lotus fraternity. I'm selling both my italian beauties to finance my first purchase of your beloved brand.

I love my current wheels but the sparkle has gone and need to feed that track and road craving with one focused machine.

I'm currently looking at the evora /evora S and hoping to get a little advice in what I should be looking for in a used low mileage example. I have looked at the elise but at 6ft4 its just a little too small for my bambi legs 😂

I cant bring much to the party just yet but with time hope to become a decent member of the group.

Cheers Andy

#loverofmachines

20190515_122410.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to TLF Andy. :welcome:

There are some tall drivers in TLF so you will get some answers shortly. I'm only 5'7 so I am zero help.  :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Cheers buddy. Looking forward to getting some real world advice. I'm all youtubed out with how many videos I've watched on the evora.

Andy

On another note I had a Ducati back in the day. An SD 900 Darmah. Put clip-ons on it as well as handlebar mirrors obviously and an SS fairing. Also had it custom painted with different stripes to the originals, still in gold though and air-brushed stars on air-brushed Ducati wording on the tank.

I have a photo somewhere that I should dig out.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Welcome to TLF Andy. 

95% of people fit in an Evora. Pop over to Oakmere and give a few a try. 👍

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Andy

welcome to TLF and good luck finding your car.........you will love the Evora.......its addictive in any of its forms

as Bibs says...get over to Oakmere (Chris Neils as was).........Steve or Simon should be able to help........

cheers

G

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Hi and welcome. Most would point you towards an Exige for track use but the Evora is very capable on track and certainly an upgrade for track use over the Maserati. The best Evoras to drive on track are the lighter Sport 410s. The model was replaced by the GT410 Sport which is much the same thing and can be bought new and there are some amazing deals to be had currently. The ultimate road and track Evora remains the GT430 which is a truly amazing car, limited to 60 units worldwide (I doubt they ever got to 60 either!) and there are a few remaining low mileage cars for sale (1 unregistered one left) with some good deals to be had there too. Depreciation on older S1 models will be glacial, lowest running costs and best ride quality belongs to the normally aspirated S1.

Wow cheers all, great welcome . Thank you for the early advice on the evora... in all honesty I'm not after a hardcore track weapon just the odd day here and there at oultan park to get my kicks. 

I will be using which ever I choose as a daily so I need a few creature comforts, oakmere is on the cards for thursday pm so will let you all know what triggers my fancy. 

Looking forward to that early xmas present with full wife buy in so 🤞and that's a rarity in this house 😁

Right . Off back to the internet prowl to see what's on offer. Will keep you posted.

Oh and Ramjet I'd love to see the old SD, even if I am hanging up my leathers for the foreseeable. 

Cheers 

For daily use the normally aspirated S1, Evora S and SR (supercharged) and Evora 400 (supercharged, chargecooled and noisy!) are the go to choices. They have the benefit of more road focused set up and better rear visibility than the later and current cars with the louvred carbon fibre tailgate. All Evoras, like any Lotus, perform well on the track.

Awesome gents spent the afternoon scouring the net. 

I'll be honest I love the thought of the extra pace the newer cars have but tbh I personally prefer the lines of the s1  .

I'm probably commuting a cardinal sin saying that but I love the more rounded shape than the aggressive angular bodywork.

I'm working NY way through teh forum at the min trying to find the main if any faults I should be looking for on a used example

Welcome!  You've come to the right place for advice.  Bibs' long term tests are worth a read if you've not found them yet and cover all the variants you're looking at https://www.thelotusforums.com/category/latest-news/long-term-tests/

There's some buyers guide info in the "Evora market watch" thread for example here.  And a good set of info and links here.  And an old 2015 Pistonheads buyers guide here which obviously only covers the earlier models.  Key decisions include 2+0 or 2+2 seating, S versus NA, manual or auto and optional packs.

I'm with you on the S1 shape.  You'll find several on here who've owned both S1 and later variants, and people who swear by one or the other.  If you go for an S1 you'll find references to MY12 in the reviews, when several key changes were introduced including fixes to some of the earlier common issues and improvements to build quality.  There are decent pre MY12 S1s too that were either well-built to start with or have been sorted by previous owners, such as upgrading gear linkages (a common gripe).

There are a few well-documented things to check, covered in the links above, such as water leakage in the boot and foot well,  warped airbag covers, cracked A-pillar covers, seat wear, peeling headlights.  And of course the dreaded clutch question.

I've had my S1 S since 2011 and still don't see anything else I'd swap for it yet.  It's comfortable on long journeys, practical (2 kids or a suitcase or a road bike or a lot of cases of wine on the back seat) and an absolute hoot when pressing on.  I moved from a supercharged Elise and first time out on track at Goodwood in the Evora - being careful in my shiny new grown up car - I was comfortably bettering my lap times.  In the hands of a driving god it might be a different story.  For me the Evora is very rewarding to drive briskly and gives brilliant feedback.  On normal roads there's not a significant difference performance-wise between S and NA S1s.  The auto (IPS) is also pretty good, if you find one, and avoids the gear linkage and clutch concerns.  VED is different on the S and NA and IPS, if that's something that matters.

Mine has been very reliable, only broke down once when the starter motor jammed, which Lotus replaced FOC despite being out of warranty.  Running costs have been fine, a bit more than the Elise but not supercar territory.  The original spec Pirelli tyres used to be pricey and wear quickly but newer options are longer lasting and less eye-watering.

Another plus is you get great reactions from other people, with other drivers letting you out of side roads and people coming up to you in car parks to talk about the car, as well as the "nice car mister" comments from kids.  I was flagged down by two families while driving on the Isle of Man a few weeks ago, as they had never seen an Evora in real life before and wanted their pictures taken with it. 

And then there's the friendly owners community, always ready to help out and with plenty of interesting events to join.

Once you've worked out what you're looking for, contact a few of the larger dealers such as Silverstone and B&C as well as your local one and tell them what you're after.  There's often a waiting list for used Evoras and so cars will be offered out to people on the list before being advertised.  You may have to wait for the right car but it'll be worth it.

Good luck with the search.

• Like 2

Holy mother , that's some reply there TomE, thanks so much for the welcome and the bible of advice....amazing support thanks so much. 

The maserati was a nightmare when it came to faults and maintemenace so I'm hoping a lotus may well be a little less troublesome. Yet I totally understand the hand built niggles all of these exotics suffer.

Having owned italian for the last 15 years i think I'm prepped 🤦‍♂️.

The advice is appreciated and will be duly taken on board. Thankyou to all for taking the time to fire some advice and take the time to give me some pointers. 

Legends all of you . 

• Like 1

Hi Andy welcome to the forum!

Good luck with the search

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Wishing you all the best with your search. I haven't driven an Evora although I'd like to, I'm sure they are fantastic cars.

But just to throw out a possible alternative have you considered a late model (relative term, production ended in 2004) Esprit? They are fairly roomy considering the design and particularly the V8 might help ease the transition from that Maserati. And the trunk space is surprisingly generous (again, relative term).

The Esprit I can vouch for the driving experience, breathtaking is really no exaggeration, especially at the higher speeds. 

Just a thought. Again good luck and enjoy the search.