free hit
counters
400 door mirror cover broken - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've just had a collision with a flying wheel trim! It came off a car travelling in the other direction an a 60mph A-road and has bounced off the front clamshell before hitting the door mirror. Didn't get their number. 

Luckily, the scuffs on the paintwork look like they will probably polish out. The door mirror surround has a crack in it but will glue almost invisibly. However, I'm now missing a door mirror cover. Looking on DeRoure I see that it's £34 for a plain cover, or £134 for a carbon fiber upgrade (although I'd need two of those). Any other sources for parts? Aren't the door mirrors off another make of car? Anyway, glad it wasn't a headlight, windscreen or my face that took the impact.

IMG_0644.thumb.JPG.f55a92709d05cd96c1b4e4a50a3e3c3d.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The mirrors are off of a Proton of some description, looks like a Proton Saga in fact however they do seem to have matte covers so perhaps the cover was bespoke for the Evora

s-l640.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

There are plenty of aftermarket options for the Proton version. I think that most of them come from Malaysia (surprise, surprise). 

1 hour ago, RichardC said:

Looking on DeRoure I see that it's £34 for a plain cover, or £134 for a carbon fiber upgrade (although I'd need two of those). 

Just to manage expectations, if this is the Lotus product they are "Carbon Fibre effect"

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

So, one the standard covers it is then. Plus maybe a roll of carbon fibre effect sticky backed plastic....

I really wish that the drivers of cars with steel wheels would make sure that their trims are well fixed. I'm surprised that they're still allowed in safety grounds. Has anyone ever been injured by a detached wheel trim?

Paint polished and mirror housing glued, almost invisibly, which is a relief.

Today I got a new mirror cover delivered (thanks Oakmere Lotus) and I was rather hoping that it would be shiny black plastic. Unfortunately its white raw plastic, so needs priming, painting, lacquer, etc. which is a bit of a hassle. So I'm toying with the idea of a carbon effect wrap to mimic Lotus's £134 efforts. There are over 23000 product listings when you search for "carbon wrap" on ebay: has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should buy to try? I want something that is easy to apply DIY and doesn't look rubbish. Any tips and suggestions welcome.

Rich

i got a carbon effect wrap on my wing mirrors and roof done by Uk signs in Hinckley who do a lot of wrap work for Lotus Silverstone.

i posted a picture of the wrap in a thread to my ageing eyes they look realistic but I think you need to see it in the flesh to gauge for yourself ?

I did email Yanni chap on telly but they didn’t reply to email for a Two weeks And I think they be mega expensive ?

I’ve seen the carbon wrap that UK signs use and can confirm it is very good for a wrap, almost has a 3D effect in the weave.

give them a call and see if they’ll supply you 1m^2 to cover your mirrors?

However I had to get one of wing mirrors redone after a couple of days the guys did no problem saying doing a very curved area is a tricky job in comparison to a large smooth body panel 

so I knew given my limited diy skills I couldn’t do it and best left to experts however if your much more skilled try and get a supply from UK signs chaps and do it yourself ?