free hit
counters
Electrical . What is this? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mdw

Electrical . What is this?

Can any one advise me what component these are the burnt out one and the one to the left please.

tmp_2909-_20191018_2021399189864041148039339.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks like resistors 👍

Only here once

Close. Blurry resistors. :hrhr:

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Yes sorry they are tiny.   Those 2 little f%^&ers are going to cost me £500  if I cant find some and replace them.   Its a baxi fan control board only 3 years old but out of guarantee.   The gas fitter has had them go on 3 of this model boiler.  Its half the cost of the boiler. Not happy.

If I can find the surface mount ones is there a problem fitting the through board ones?

48 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Close. Blurry resistors. :hrhr:

Blurry burnt out resistor

35 minutes ago, mdw said:

Yes sorry they are tiny.   Those 2 little f%^&ers are going to cost me £500  if I cant find some and replace them.   Its a baxi fan control board only 3 years old but out of guarantee.   The gas fitter has had them go on 3 of this model boiler.  Its half the cost of the boiler. Not happy.

If I can find the surface mount ones is there a problem fitting the through board ones?

Nope - just make sure you fit bigger W rating ones

• Like 1

Only here once

Google image search for MELF resistor. (Type carefully!)

What colour are the stripes? Red Brown Black Black Brown?

It looks like  red,  brown, black, black, grey or silver, brown.   I will photograph it in sunlight tomorrow and hopefully get a better picture.

Red Brown Black Black would be 210 Ohms, which is not a common value. The last two bands are the tolerances. If you can't get the exact part then a nearby value may work, but change both of them together, not just the burnt out one.

I would go for a 6 band code, and reading from left is Brown Grey Black Black = 180ohm, brown = 1%, red = 50ppm

image.png.4988f564c385500b632846f3398820a7.png

but, resistor might only be the symptom, and simply replacing might not fix problem.

this might be a suitable replacement:  https://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/sma-a0207ftdt180r/melf-res-auto-metal-film-180r/dp/2838199

Many thanks have ordered 5 .  Its worth a gamble, the worse that can happen is its US just like it is now.   Ive got more pics it does look like grey band to me.

resistor.jpg

Sharper pic.jpg

Or if need be, just desolder the other resistor and check with a meter to confirm resistance.

If it blows again, next logical step is to replace the surface mount transistor next to it.  The resisitor may have acted like a fuse and gone into meltdown due to a failure of another component.  Transistors on the other hand dont go into meltdown, they just stop working, possibly/probably going into shorting state where they just pass voltage/current through 24/7, which is a bad thing... if you are the next resistor in line.

Electronics are fun.  🙂

Edited by s4simon

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Cheers for all your help.    Replaced them and still no go  so  new combustion control unit fitted.   Not quite as bad  as first feared but £381 on a 3.5 year old boiler is not on. Thanks once again.   Turns out its now got an upgraded version so they obviously use customers to road test the boiler🤬.