free hit
counters
778R - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Straker

778R

Finally moved 778R home

the main challenges are...

Missing wiring loom... rotten interior and the unusual litany of poorly undertaken maintenance and repairs.

eg boot adjuster bolt wound in so far it has gone through shell... boot seal has 100mm missing... lock spring missing ...

I’ll start posting pictures once I get past identifying what I need to do and priorities 

R

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

looking forward to seeing your progress. :)

It's getting there......

I’ve been relieved that my car seems to be free from the dreaded scotchlocks.... however I found this cable joint, whilst removing the damaged front spoiler....

the front spoiler was cracked in two and stuck together with no-nails and held in place with a selection of wood screws and    Gutter bolts....

I’m intending to rebuild the front spoiler as it’s Grp.

what colour should it be? It’s a series 2 spoiler.

The car is black and the bumpers will be satin black. Should the spoiler be satin? Gloss? Or stone chip? 

E94EE605-3337-47BA-96DD-C329D4FB29A6.jpeg

Spoiler should be body colour with the central scoop bit satin black.

Not sure if thats relevant on a black car though!

Many thanks, I hadn’t considered that the inside would we satin... it wouldn’t have been possible to tell when fitted to the car as it was full of animal feed pellets and mouse droppings.....

i think I’ll wait until I’ve repaired / repainted/ refitted the front bumper.

the bumpers will be satin, the mirrors are satin and chrome cromadorra’s so I think a satin front spoiler might work.

I’m repairing parts as I remove them and storing them later for when I reassemble

Should the springs on the boot hinges face inwards or outwards?

I’ve not been able to find any photos  of an Eclat boot showing the arrangement and the manual I have only has detail of an elite hatch. I’ve seen pictures of an excel where the springs extend inwards.

I’m not convinced the hinges have been installed the correct way around as they have comically long bolts fitted...

Comically long bolts are going to be a recurring theme on this thread...

Meanwhile at the front.... I’ve found the leak in the bulkhead... which was the rotten battery securing channel.

Thanks to the post on here  “my Eclat leaks like a sieve” I’m sure I’ll be referring to that one again as the next leak is sure to becomes apparent.

So... the rear hinges have been installed incorrectly.

Bolts have been threaded in to underside the upper fixing on the brackets and stick through to the mounting hole in the channel by the seal with a nut (only on one side) 

both bolts are so long that the heads foul the hinge mechanism 

I’m getting plenty of practice cutting down bolts + cleaning threads, thankfully I bought a bag of stainless M6 bolts.

the hinge mounting point is starting to lift from the lid, what adhesive should I use?

5 hours ago, Straker said:

the hinge mounting point is starting to lift from the lid, what adhesive should I use?

If you can squeeze some epoxy in there, that's what I'd use.  I tend to use Pliogrip 576b for everything like that - expensive but brilliant (it's what they use to bond modern aluminium chassis together with).

Pete

Many thanks, I’ll go with epoxy.

the boot hinge wire springs are clamped tightly  to the hinge body by the clamp plate. 

Should there be some spacers washers between the hinge body and clamp plate so the whole spring can flex?

Comically long bolts time again....

the hinge fixing bolts from the parcel shelf area were 60mm long.... and the heads had been glassed over to fix them ..... all that did was hide them so that they spun in place......and had to be dug out....

looks like some speakers had been installed in the shelf area back in the 80’s and someone filled in the holes as a repair.

As I can’t identify what would have originally been there I’m going to glass in some m6 bighead fastener with 20mm studs.

Probably a bit of overkill but I’ll be taking it all apart again at some point for a respray