free hit
counters
Series 1 Elise metal like chafing noise - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
kevin31157

Series 1 Elise metal like chafing noise

Hi guys

My elise has a chafing noise like 2 metal pieces rubbing together when driving. It speeds up with acceleration and slows down on deceleration even with the car in neutral when I tried it once whilst moving. Had two wheel bearing noises sorted but this chafing still there. Also had brakes stripped down and hubs removed and blown out and garage found nothing. It's really annoying. Seems to get more noticeable when driven a longer distance when everything is probably warmer.

Any ideas welcome please.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How do your wheel balance weights look? Any chance they've been fouling the caliper? 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Hi Bibs

When I first got the noises I looked under the rear and did notice one of the lead weights was missing from nearside back wheel and wondered if it had come away and was caught somewhere in the caliper/plate area. Since then the whole front and rear brakes/calipers have been checked at garage and found to be clear.

I mentioned it as a friend had this on his S1 111s. The calipers were slightly expanding when hot causing the same problem but it was only spotted by the bright spots on the weights. It wasn't happening on the ramp as it was all cold. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators