free hit
counters
Looking at buying Eclat Riviera, new to Lotus - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Daza

Looking at buying Eclat Riviera, new to Lotus

Firstly, Hello, I'm new here :-)
Now down to business! 
I'm looking at purchasing a 82 Lotus Eclat Riviera, apparently it's been sitting around for about 15years and has 75k on the clock. The motor turns but the current owner hasn't tried starting it yet.
Being totally new to Lotus I'm a little unsure about what I should be looking for, has anyone got any advice about typical areas to inspect?
Also, I've noticed from the pictures that the interior is cloth and not leather, is that possible in the Riviera?
Thanks in advance
Darren

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome and best of luck darren.

Stick the ad on here and some experts will fill you in.

The riviera seems to be the most desirable model,  so the most likely to rise in value. Many of these cars parts are inexpensive and home serviceable, but an interior, chassis or paint job will be a big spend.

It doesn't really matter though, if you're enjoying yourself 😉

• Like 2

Daza

welcome........sounds like an interesting project

I suppose it all depends on the condition of the chassis.......you will need to inspect it in depth........body and interior are fairly easy to sort

respray will be anywhere between £2k and £10k depending on what you want and the work needed to the body

a retrim in leather should cost you about £3k......

or at least these are UK prices..........

as Tom says....enjoy the journey.........it'll be blood seat and tears at the time....but the finished product will make you smile like a cheshire cat

lol

cheers and welcome

G

• Like 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

The chassis should be fine, it will be galvanised, being an S2, and better engine and gearbox too than the S1's, so very desirable. Cloth trim in the S2's is pretty good quality, so may well be in good order. Don't even try to start engine till a new cambelt installed.

Fundamentally a much better proposition than an S1.

They are not complicated cars, but can be difficult to actually get to where you want to go to get a job done.

Good luck with it, and definitely worth saving.

• Like 1

Darren 

Welcome. It depends what your objective is. If you enjoy restoring cars, there are plenty of parts available and the chassis should be fine but best check that prior to purchase, as that is another big expense if compromised.

Think about all the smaller parts and cost of replacement. They all add up and most will need replacing or soon will once you use a car that has not moved for 15 years plus. 

Check if the body has crazed paintwork. You cannot just paint over cracks and crazing, it will return. Moisture in the gel coat is also a problem when repainting. This will add substantially to the cost of new paint, so look carefully. 

Suspension is key to a Lotus and the reason many buy them. That may well need replacing, though because the cars are so light they tend to be kinder on springs and shocks when sitting for a long time. Budget to replace. 

The end value is unlikely to be above your costs of restoration but I assume you know that and horray, you don't mind. 

If you are less excited about restoring cars and just want a Lotus to drive, you may want to look elsewhere as it could be a long haul. Obvious point I know but you really will need to love the challenge (as many do and more power to them). 

I love the Eclat, so pretty. I went for an Excel in the end as they seem more plentiful when looking for a usable wedge Lotus. The Riviera is the Eclat I would want to own. 

Good luck.

Justin 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I have an appointment to view the car tomorrow, can't wait to see it in the flesh, so to speak.
My aim is to purchase an investment car I can take home to Australia, (when and if we ever return) that will not lose value even if we never return.
I first noticed the car as it was RHD and have since become quite excited about the idea. Obviously I don't want to buy a money pit or something that isn't what it first seems to be, hence the questions on what to look for and the questioning of its true heritage as a Riviera.
What numbers should I be looking for and where would they be ? I've read that the lack of PWRsteer, aircon and even leather isn't unheard of in a Riviera ?
Is there a 'production log' as such, available that would outline what individual cars were produced with?
Adding pictures from the ad, the colour is meant to be Tissot Blau Metallic.
Cheers
Darren

Lotus.png

Lotus1.png

Lotus2.png

Lotus3.png

Lotus4.png

Lotus5.png

Lotus6.png

Lotus7.png

Lotus8.png

Lotus9.png

Lotus11.png

Lotus12.png

Lotus13.png

Lotus14.png

Lotus15.png

Lotus16.png

Lotus17.png

Lotus18.png

Lotus19.png

Edited by Daza
Didn't think it was all the information was needed.
  • Like 1

wow......

other than a bit of headlining and change out the carpet........Im not even sure Id call it a project.......:D.......missing the odd seat knob......

great find......and looks in very good order.......:thumbsup:........tidy enough that with a bit of service and a wash and brush up Id be more than happy to drive it about like that......

and at that price looks good value too.........

• Like 1

oh and the aerial......lol

So, the head linings not meant to look like that ! I've not seen it in person and wasn't sure whether it was meant to work like that or not ! 🙂
I'm trying not to get too excited before I look under the car ! 
Going by the pictures does it stack up as a real Riviera?

certainly has the right bonnet and targa/sunroof thing :thumbup:

if you know the serial number of the car you ask the archivist at lotus.......

it'll cost you tho'

not sure of the current price but probably about £25

he can confirm all its details....

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/en-GB/certificate-provenance/

We are pleased to offer the Certificate of Provenance service to Lotus car owners.  The certificate and covering letter detail how the car left Lotus and are available for all models from the 1957 Lotus Seven onwards.

The certificate will include (depending upon information available) the full VIN, model and variant, the original engine and gearbox serial numbers, body and trim colours, options, build date and the original dealer/distributor dispatched to. These are priced from £44-£55 including postage depending upon information available.

Where information is available, for £82.50 including postage, you can receive the certificate service as above but also include where your car comes in the build sequence for that market and model and how many others there were in the same colour/trim combination. Please contact Andy Graham in Lotus Archives at [email protected] or telephone +44 1603 732178.

its gone up.......:blink:

• Like 1

for instance

it should be....for example SCC084912CHD1234

SCC (denotes Lotus) 084 (so type 84 S2 Eclat) 912 (denotes the engine 2.2ltr) C (denotes model year '82) H (denotes Hethel) D (denotes domestic market so UK car) 1234 (denotes car unit number)

so yours should read as above......save that the unit number and the market notation would be different......the D could probably be a E (for Europe)

other than that.....the exact bits are with Andy Im afraid

• Like 1

Fabulous, I'll take that with me tomorrow !
The search does seem a bit rich, but well worth it in the end I guess, it may save me buying a muck-up Riv
What does 'Hethel' mean?
Getting more excited about the prospect by the minute.

OK just saw this on the link "Hand made in Hethel" 🙄

Lotus moved to Hethel in 1966........it was an old Bomber Airfield........handy to build a race track on the old runways     :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've found an advert for it - I had to as the pictures in the thread are too small for my eyes. As Gareth says, apart from the headlining, looks great. Carpets look fine. 1982 is a great year for Lotus cars - says he with an 82 Esprit :thumbsup:

The cloth interior is great - not too many left in cloth I'd imagine as most will have been retrimmed in leather.

In case you didn't notice Clive's comment above, I'll repeat it here: Don't even try to start engine till a new cambelt installed

• Like 1

I've read a couple of blogs about Lotus's found after many years of resting in one spot and they all seem to say the same thing, "replace the cam belt first" !! haha So yes, it would be the first mechanical job under taken. 
If I do end up with her, she'd be rolled on to a trailer and taken to a mates garage, where he has a lift and space to house her as unfortunately I don't have a garage she'd fit in. Also unfortunately he lives 600km away around Berlin, but with winter coming I don't see another option.
In the ad it's mentioned that the colour ' Tissot Blue Metallic' was a one-off (at least for the Eclat) and was so produced for advertising purposes, could be true?
Also those gold rims, reminds me a little of 'JPS' promotional cars of the era, is it possible they are original or added for effect ?
As I'm quite new to Lotus it's hard to distinguish what is plausible and what is not eg. the ad mentions the product numbers of the Riviera as 69, although I'm sure I've seen mention of 80?
I'll know more tomorrow afternoon hopefully.

The Lotus F1 team did have Tissot sponsorship in the early 80's so it could have been used for promotional purposes.

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

@Daza sounds like you definitely need to drop Andy Graham and email.......he will be able to tell you exactly about the paint and the rims and if used for Team Lotus duties........

Nigel Mansell or Elio de Angelis could have graced the drivers seat????

• Like 1

So after inspecting the car in dying light, I've found a few questionable areas....
The Vin is SCC084912BHD11077, with colour code of A15. So its original colour should be Helleblau (it looks quite dark for light blue) and there are definitely clues to the rear quarter panels having been previously resprayed. There is also a little star cracking in 3 spots in the under half of the rear quarters.
There are some loose chrome trims (rusted clips) and a vinyl trim around one window is also missing. Generally the body looks ok but trims, decals and rubbers all look a bit shabby, especially in comparison to another lovely example (more about that in a moment).  
Mechanical issue's, the gear stick is flopping around free, the trim cover was removed and the problem seems tobe in the box its self??
The motor looks clean although there is oil in the area of the pwr steering unit? Apparently it turns over but it's not been started.
So the story is, the current owner had a faze a decade ago where he was crazy for Lotus's at one point he had 8 Riviera's, he still has 1 LHD example, an  Elite Riviera, along with a Europa and 2 Esprits and a small gaggle of Porsches, Benz and motor bikes...… seems rather greedy to me 😉 !!!
Apparently he brought the car in the UK, trailered it home and dropped it in his garage, never having heard the motor run (due to the gearbox issue), that was 12 years ago, currently its sitting outside in the weather as he's run out of space and the interior is starting to get damp and develop a musty smell.
I will be contacting this Andy Graham fella,  see if he can should anymore light on the car but I must say although I like the car I'm a little hesitant at the moment.

it looks like the car is a 1981 vintage from the vin

11 hours ago, Daza said:

he still has 1 LHD example, an  Elite Riviera, 

need more information on this one 

Danke

N

The guys name is Sascha, I guess he is/was known in the Lotus scene at some point, he must have been on a buying spree a decade ago, lives in Frankfurt.
He said there are 3 LHD Eclat Riviera's, 2 in France and his or had you mean the Elite Riviera?
He's liquidising some assets at the moment, although I believe he intends to keep the remaining Lotus's he has.?
If you want his number, I could ask if it's ok to pass it over?

• Like 1

Hi Darren,

To your first question: only a few have Full leather. Most have half leather like mine or fabric.

Tha car is some month for sale for strong money. There is also another blue one in the south which has also some nicks.

There are some dealers with experience on the old sportscars but they are very pricey. I was the last time in the Netherlands for a greater job. There is also a member with huge parts bin also complete running engines.

The figures of Sascha are wrong. There were 80 Eclat Riviera in total and iirc 13 LHD.

The register is now open... ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Don.Hasi said:

The figures of Sascha are wrong. There were 80 Eclat Riviera in total and iirc 13 LHD

Hello Don,
Thanks for that, I've seen posts on differing websites stating different numbers and I was sure I'd seen the 3 LHD Eclat Riviera quoted before ?
Have you got a link to the car for sale in the south and by 'strong money' I guess you mean it's a bit overpriced ? What would consider to be a reasonable price for one in this condition?

Cheers