free hit
counters
New Lotus Elan - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Spotted the mag on a news shelf today.  Checked the goods before buying - and didn't.  Almost wholly speculative; certainly not meriting that front cover "Autocar Image". The car some years away. Positioned above the Elise. Few if any details. More about the Lotus design philosophy than the car.  The only mention worthy of its space was about the new version Evora due at the end of next year.

I wonder if some deal was done with the Lotus PR department. I suppose such a splash presentation of very little was worth some pounds or promises from that viewpoint.

All IMHO, of course.

It’s a very pretty car - hope it comes

Only here once

Utter fiction.

If it doesn’t appeal to a much broader base  than the current cars do I don’t think either Geely or the new Lotus management would have any interest in such a thing.

I would only see them do that if the cost of building the thing is low enough and the chassis development is otherwise paid off or about to be, hence this car, in my mind such a roadster would only come after the programmed onslaught of future cars is  deemed successful and the coffers are piling up with enough cash to  get a toy car out. That or the chassis for this thing leads to the first Chinese made roadster, as in Lotus makes this Elan in Hethel while at the same time Geely gets a version of this very car made in China à la Z4/Supra.  

Not that I don't want such a car to be produced, but the market has moved on quite a lot and the biggest seller in the segment (the MX5 Miata arguably) doesn't sell as it used to while the nearest competitor to this new Elan ( the boxster ) is not the golden egg it once was. But If you don't mass produce this  it makes very little sense, as the earnings from a car like this would most likely come from economies of scale not sales margin unless they want to price it sky high which would negate the interest for the car itself.

Weird, IMO, but It looks like it seems that Lotus is looking for advise on FB...

I am sure that there is an interest for a liveable, less hardcore Lotus and so I have nothing against an Elan, being an affordable (fingers crossed), practical roadster to go against an Mx-5 or a Boxster, but I think that giving up the Elise name and would be a mistake. It is the only car in the Lotus current portfolio that is perceived as class-leader or in a class of its own and a proper icon.

It would be like having Mazda stop making the Mx-5, or as if BMW killed the 3-series or Mercedes the S-class.

Edited to add: Or maybe it is just an attempt at smart, cheap, marketing building on the cover page.

1 minute ago, Arregueti said:

Weird, IMO, but It looks like it seems that Lotus is looking for advise on FB...

That's not the Lotus Cars facebook page. This one is...

https://www.facebook.com/LotusCars/

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators