free hit
counters
Giugiaro Esprit S1 Full Restoration - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content


IGNORED

Giugiaro Esprit S1 Full Restoration


Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
13 hours ago, whiskybob said:

This looks the best one out of those two. You need the length to adequately cover the gap you make where the waistline trim enters behind the bumper, but other than that just a strong enough rubber so that it's not floppy, which results in a wavy edge where it grips the bumper. This seems to fit the bit on both counts. Also having a thick enough base (bottom of the 'U') to take up the space from the edge of the bumper and the body shell.

Let me know how you get on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Fridge said:

That looks great @whiskybob 

Thanks.  Doors and dash are now off.  That dash was a pain, almost impossible to get to bolts... 😡

Lotus Resto Body.jpeg

Edited by whiskybob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 08/03/2022 at 11:22, whiskybob said:

Thanks.  Doors and dash are now off.  That dash was a pain, almost impossible to get to bolts... 😡

Lotus Resto Body.jpeg

Looking good!

I'm busy progressing finishing tasks between heavy showers, now that personal finances and suppliers have got back to pre-pandemic levels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since then not much has changed as the MGB has taken over...  About to go for welding inner well arches  plus area, then respray...

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0902.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I know the feeling. I had to curtail the final stages of this 4 years and counting (as of 2020) Esprit restoration due to a downturn in income due to the pandemic.

I had a lot of fun driving it in the summer of 2020 though, as I did my 1961 Sunbeam Alpine. Perhaps more so the latter since it is complete!

I spent last year renewing certain assemblies and components on the Alpine which proved more economic. Namely rear brakes, rare drums, handbrake and lever arm shock absorbers (on pre-Series III models).

Having resumed working on the Esprit hopefully it will be fully complete this time next year. Making the restoration 7 years in total. Compared to the 1 year it took to take the Alpine down to bare metal and rebuild it.

Edited by Fridge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fridge said:

I know the feeling. I had to curtail the final stages of this 4 years and counting (as of 2020) Esprit restoration due to a downturn in income due to the pandemic.

I had a lot of fun driving it in the summer of 2020 though, as I did my 1961 Sunbeam Alpine. Perhaps more so the latter since it is complete!

I spent last year renewing certain assemblies and components on the Alpine which proved more economic. Namely rear brakes, rare drums, handbrake and lever arm shock absorbers (on pre-Series III models).

Having resumed working on the Esprit hopefully it will be fully complete this time next year.

I hear you...  Mind who just found out the same fella that's going to respray the B has also done lots of fiberglass cars so will probably do the S1 body... 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2022 at 14:56, whiskybob said:

I hear you...  Mind who just found out the same fella that's going to respray the B has also done lots of fiberglass cars so will probably do the S1 body... 

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I did similar back in 2016.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...