free hit
counters
Great places to eat - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dan.G

Great places to eat

I like good food...

I live in the beautiful county of Norfolk and its amazing what the Chefs can do around here without electricity!

Please use this thread to list your recently visited top places to eat, whether it be the little gems tucked away, the Michelin starred places that have blown you away, or even the bbq shack destined to deliver the meat sweats!

Name or shame, recommend or avoid, share it. Oh... and state whether or not a lotus can park there (sleeping policemen)

Enjoy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tonight we dined at Morston Hall, Michelin starred restaurant. Its in the heart of Norfolk, along the coast, completely hidden.

9 courses of ooohs and ahhhs, and yes, I was 'that guy' photographing my food. I hate people taking photos.

20191026_205514.jpg

20191026_203548.jpg

Didn’t they have any decent sized steaks ??

Only here once

Nope. The largest plates were 3 mouthfuls...

We did have some proper wagu beef that had been slow smoked for 48 hours. Obviously, that was horrible 😄

Feel free to mention your favourite steakhouse in this thread

• Like 1

High end grub my fave is Raymond Blancs Le Manoir aux Quat’ Saisons in Oxfordshire. Eaten there a few times and never disappointed. 

For pub food, we love The Onslow Arms in Clandon, Surrey. Always good, reasonably priced food and being near to Bell & Colvill, it gives me yet another excuse for calling in there. What’s not to like about that?😁

My wife and I are very partial to a cafe called Moons in Lorne.

I doubt any of you guys would have heard of it as it is in Victoria in Australia. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

2 hours ago, Dan.G said:

We did have some proper wagu beef that had been slow smoked for 48 hours. Obviously, that was horrible 😄

It does seem there simply aren’t many places who can actually cook a steak properly these days. The maturing process often leave little to be desired either. More and more dairy cow cross bulls are ending up on plates as steaks and they are bloody awful. 

Best steak I’ve ever had was from a rare breed Herefordshire which had been slaughtered on farm and sold at a small local independent pub - sadly they’ve closed now - probably due to the supply chain with that meat not being ummm strictly “correct”

anyone whom mentions miller and carter should hang their heads frankly - over priced pompous stuff

• Like 1

Only here once

3 hours ago, Spinney said:

For pub food, we love The Onslow Arms in Clandon, Surrey.

Best rib-eye I've ever eaten was there, wonderful pub and good selection of ales too :thumbsup:

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

On 27/10/2019 at 07:16, Dan.G said:

They forgot to put the food on your plate..................

• Haha 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Further to Dans pics, and sorry here Dan, one thing I hate is pretentious food.

I recently saw a Fillet Steak on a menu as 6oz and Rib eye and Sirloin at 8oz. Well I'm sorry I want a minimum of 8oz FIllet and 10-12 oz Sirloin/rib eye or else its too thin. Apparantly the Fillet was "Trimmed" to 6oz and perfectly round shaped so the tint thin circle of Truffle on the top fitted correctly. It was all yours for £40 with 2 baby carrots and 3 chunky chips thrice fried. Well whooppee fuckin do! 

Best place I know which is "Fine dining" but without pretentious bollox and decent sized plates is Stoke Mill just outside Norwich. The steak is so perfect they don't give you a steak knife, it just falls apart AND they won't cook it more than Rare. Their starter of Scallops with belly pork is just..........OMG. (decent size for a starter proving you can have great food AND decent portions).
Related image

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

The best steak I ever had was at "Los Locos Americanos" in Buenos Aires but that was 21 years ago so things may have changed.  Just melted in my mouth.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

For those living in Norfolk and looking for a good restaurant or travelling to Norfolk for a short break I can recommend  "The Saracens Head" at Wolterton which also has rooms although we stayed at nearby Wolterton Park.  Part of the attraction is finding the place with an old fashioned map given the phone / sat nav reception is very poor 

Is it Lotus friendly ?  The surrounding roads are very narrow, usually with grass growing down the middle and high hedges, so practice your reversing skills should you be unlucky enough to come across oncoming farm traffic, especially if are driving an Exige !

https://www.woltertonpark.co.uk

https://www.saracenshead-norfolk.co.uk/index.php

I shall be in Margate in a couple of weeks .......

I heard you're a bit of a gourmet, so here's my recommendation, ideally located close to various dodgy boozers in Cliff Terrace.  Obviously, there's the occasional armed police raid given the choice of name, but I'm assured it's has a Michelin 5-tyre rating with the local clientele, and most nights there's entertainment in the form of bare-knuckle fighting. So, what's not to like?

Kebab house.jpg

Margate Exotics.

And the aroma from the bins next door must add to it!

Had Sunday lunch at the Tylers Kiln in Tyler Hill, close to Canterbury at the weekend. The story is that the owners invented an app, sold it for a fortune and have sunk a decent amount of that fortune into this pub/restaurant. Food was 10/10, venue the same and also service plus keenly priced at £20.95 for 2 courses. Very highly recommended if you're in the area. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

43 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Had Sunday lunch at the Tylers Kiln in Tyler Hill, close to Canterbury at the weekend. The story is that the owners invented an app, sold it for a fortune and have sunk a decent amount of that fortune into this pub/restaurant. Food was 10/10, venue the same and also service plus keenly priced at £20.95 for 2 courses. Very highly recommended if you're in the area. 

See, I told you.

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.