free hit
counters
Valve spring compression tool (without removing cams) - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Techspy

Valve spring compression tool (without removing cams)

Does a tool exist that allows you to compress the valve spring with the cams still installed? Meaning, it would be great to be able to changes shims without having to remove the cams etc. If one doesn't exist, does anyone have any design ideas to make one?

John
94 S4

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it was possible, it would already exist! The cam buckets cannot physically be removed from above with the cams fitted, so its not possible to design such a tool leaving the cams in place, with the towers on the car.   Perhaps you could theoretically compress 8 buckets simultaneously and then remove the cam, assuming they wouldnt foul anything on removal, but that doesn't meet your design brief.

Edited by 910Esprit

I wish I had an extra head/cam tower to play with to design one. Something similar to this but with a handle to manually compress it. With the valve in the closed position, just enough compression to remove the shim and replace it. Or am I missing something else obvious?

71s7xvJUIeL._SX466_.jpg.0ed7b65dfdbaa756d8632bf0c21306ba.jpg

John
94 S4

1 hour ago, Techspy said:

am I missing something else obvious

Yes I think so! - That appears to be a simple tool for compressing valve springs to remove the collets.  i.e. when you are removing a valve.    Adjusting valves is a completely different mechanical operation!   e.g on a 907 type engine all the valves springs and collets are already buried under the cam towers, buckets, shims and cams and there is no need to disturb the valves/collets to adjust clearances.

NB There is no need to redeign the tool above, more sophisticated versions are readily available that remove the valve at the press of a lever

Edited by 910Esprit

The Lotus shims are underneath the cam buckets. You're thinking of buckets that have the shim in the top of the bucket, like an early motorcycle or Subaru, or something designed to be serviced. 🔧

The upside is the cams can't kick the shims out and cause motor mayhem.