free hit
counters
First start in 30 years! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
sunste

First start in 30 years!

I’m about to start my Esprit turbo -81 with dry sump for the first time sens 1991. 
It has been torn apart and put together again and have spent alot of time under a tree...

Can some one give me some tips on how to start it in a safe way?

* New gas

* new filters

* new oil (what oil fore first start)

* new plugs

* oil pressure (how can i be sure it’s ok, don’t know if the gage is working)

* oil to the turbo ( any special procedure)

0EEBF204-B1E7-44B0-A7F8-D5C7311D4DA6.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine was off the road for 24 years before it was resuscitated and brought back to life in 2017, so I feel for you.......but you must be excited! Can’t help you though as I never did any of the the work but put the car in trusted hands. 

One thing you haven’t mentioned though is belts😬 I don’t think many would start it without changing the belts but maybe you’ve got that covered and never mentioned. Engine bay looks very tidy as it stands

So I’m only really here to ask for more pics to see the car inside and out😉

Edit - found the pics.....looks lovely👌

Plugs out and holes covered with a cloth, fuel pump and ignition off and turn over on the starter to get some oil circulation/pressure would be a good starting point id think. Maybe a drop of oil down each plug hole.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, esprit22 said:

How come been off the road for so long, what the mileage?

It was stolen in 91 and hade some minor body damage. After that it has been siting.

11E72A18-ECA4-412E-8EC9-66632C92C0AC.png

12 hours ago, Smithy111 said:

Plugs out and holes covered with a cloth, fuel pump and ignition off and turn over on the starter to get some oil circulation/pressure would be a good starting point id think. Maybe a drop of oil down each plug hole.

Thanks 👍🏻

I like to pull the turbo oil feed hose and force oil through it into the main gallery to prime at least the bearing shells and drive out any air. It takes a fair amount of pressure to get much cold oil in though. I don't think this will prime the oil pump however.  Remember the oil lines to the front cooler hold quite a volume of oil, so if they've been drained try to get them filled before starting.

Fantastic! I would love to add this to the dry sump register. 
would you mind providing details?

have a look in the general Esprit chat you will see the register. We have a lot of cars on there but plenty are missing,

lovely car

Cheers,

Lex