free hit
counters
505H has arrived from California - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

505H has arrived from California

I didn't have a problem, front or rear. And just used masking tape to hold the trims in place whilst the bonding set.

You do know that you have to shape the trims to fit the curvature of the glass/bodyshell? I used the corner pieces also, to hold the corners together.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well 505H is now in my possession. I have been pulling it apart to see what I need to do to get it back on the road.  I have removed the bonnet, light pods, tailgate, 1/4 windows, rear lights, bu

How were the doors before you took them off? That's the only way of checking the bushes to see if they're OK. For me it's false economy to not change the bushes when stripping the doors down this

I can no longer upload photos, but there may be some more on my restoration thread, where these came from. Otherwise on Instagram, if you can zoom in: https//www.instagram.com/p/

Posted Images

Yes I have shaped them and have the corner pieces . The problem is the rear glass doesn’t have straight edges and so in some places there isn’t enough room for the trim to just lay flat. I didn’t want to replace the rear glass as it’s in good condition otherwise, it’s just too big in places. 

• Like 1

Difficult to tell on that video as it's an XCU, but it's of the rear hatch glass. The edge of the glass does look very close, and not terribly consistent. I don't remember mine being quite like that, and the glass seems to have been placed centrally (as it can slide down under its own weight).

You have placed the rubber spacers underneath to raise the glass up to the trim height, and form an isolator to the body? Not that I think that will solve your problem.

I can't remember if the rear glass uses the clips to hold the edge trim. I didn't use them for front or back, since the bonding material these days is so much superior to what was used in the 1970's. And they had a tendency to rust anyway, and force the trim to deform over time.

So,... I'm a little non-plussed.

Assuming I've got the situation correct, we (me and the professional auto glass fitter) were now able to place the edge trim in those gaps to dry fit. Adjusting the height of the glass by cutting new rubber blocks, so that the trim inner edge lay flat against the glass surface, and the outer edge flush with the hatch.

We had to place a rubber block or two at the bottom to wedge the glass up I think, in a centralised position.

Hope that helps.

If you need to talk it through DM me your number. It may be easier. This stage gave me the most apprehension, but went smoothly thankfully.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1
On 01/04/2021 at 15:39, Fridge said:

Didn't need them.

Care to share any close up photos of your rear hatch trim Fridge ? So I can compare to my attempt 😊

• Like 1

Ooooooo looks pretty damn good, thanks. I'll take a look at your IG photos. You have a different rear glass than mine. Mine has the vertical section of the heater element right on the edge of the glass and you have to run adhesive over it. 

Hard to say as the resolution is so low but the top trim looks a bity wavy where it should sit flush with the glass......that's the issue I'm dealing with . 

unnamed (3).jpg

No, that's just "jaggies" from the Instagran image compression. I've no idea what Instagram does to relatively low resolution photos uploaded from the mobile (Instagram being a mobile app.) I can check the full 19MP image, but you'll note from this image, also posted above, that the trim is spot on.

1950044132_GlassFitted.thumb.jpg.7719e3c593de585e34bb400be4adcd69.jpg

It sounds like your rear glass isn't quite correct, or Lotus/Triplex changed the style of the heating elements. Which could account for the gap issues you're having. If your car is an imported Federal model perhaps the glass was replaced at some point in its life with a US aftermarket part? Is the glass marked as Triplex? I can't remember where the etching is on the rear glass.

Though some restorers use the clamps you enquired about originally, you'll need to be careful of their placement and force used, as it'll be easy to dent the chrome trim if you're not careful. We didn't need to use them, probably due to the time I spent dry fitting, and shaping the trim to fit the curvature of the panels. The fitter who helped me bond the glass in had the clamps, but they were unnecessary. He'd just come from fitting a new windscreen to a Ferrari Daytona Spyder with is ultra rare windscreen trim, so he knew his stuff.

Edited by Fridge
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

This website must compress them as well, the top rear trim still looks a bit wonky 🙂 I think its the angle of the photo and the way the sun catches it. 

Edited by omegaman
10 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Probably.

Did you manage to fit yours in the end?

No I'm waiting for a load of those suction clamps to arrive, I'll stick a cloth under each one and go easy with the pressure. 

I'll take a look at the glass and see if it's branded. 

That's odd isn't it?

I wonder why the glass is so close to the aperture sides then? Can't be down to poor 1970's manufacturing surely?

The new Triplex glass is made in China (Pilkingtons now being owner by a Chinese company), though I've not heard of any problems with it.

4 minutes ago, Fridge said:

That's odd isn't it?

I wonder why the glass is so close to the aperture sides then? Can't be down to poor 1970's manufacturing surely?

The new Triplex glass is made in China (Pilkingtons now being owner by a Chinese company), though I've not heard of any problems with it.

Yes strange, the car sat for 27 years so if it was changed it must have been before 94. Odd that the heater element edging is hidden on mine. 

That's true also. I've absolutely no answer for that. It it had been an aftermarket rear glass from a US manufacturer I could perhaps understand it. They are adept at cutting glass from those made for other makes of cars, but I cannot see that being the case here. I wonder if the heater element is what has been replaced previously, using one for another vehicle. I do know that the originals deteriorate and many are no longer working.

@Paul Coleman have you any ideas why an S1 rear hatch glass may look a bit different from what is expected? Slightly wider and with heater elements in a slightly different position.

The demister element is the brown circuit. Which looks OK in that photo. Surely the black (as indicated) is the masking to protect the bonding agent from UV?

Difficult to tell with such a CU photo.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Fridge said:

The demister element is the brown circuit. Which looks OK in that photo. Surely the black (as indicated) is the masking to protect the bonding agent from UV?

Difficult to tell with such a CU photo.

there is no black at that point as I was just testing the fit. Yes the element looks fine, very good condition....just odd all the others I have seen have that main section visible after fitting. 

2 hours ago, Fridge said:

@Paul Coleman have you any ideas why an S1 rear hatch glass may look a bit different from what is expected? Slightly wider and with heater elements in a slightly different position.

If it's the wrong size/shape and looks wrong then it's probably off a different car?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire