free hit
counters
505H has arrived from California - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

505H has arrived from California

Engines have been known to move and people have proposed engine stay designs in the past. If you drop the engine/gearbox out the bottom you can just leave that connected and undo it from the chassis? Then worry about it when it's out.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
8 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

Engines have been known to move and people have proposed engine stay designs in the past. If you drop the engine/gearbox out the bottom you can just leave that connected and undo it from the chassis? Then worry about it when it's out.

That's true, I wasn't sure how well the bracket would drop out of the chassis. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Cheers. 

The engine mount design seems totally wrong for this configuration, I'll change it to a better design to stop it moving. Someone had installed chains around the engine mounts and chassis as a safety net haha. 

Success in removing the engine today. I fixed a strap around the gearbox and around a pole laying across the boot floor....wedged some wood under the sump and the removed the engine mounts and gearbox support bolts. Lowered the car down and placed a trolley jack with a block of wood on top under the sump, I then lifted the car and pulled the engine and box out from underneath. No engine hoist needed. 

lotusenginebay.jpg

engineclean.jpg

lotusengineandbox.jpg

gearboxstrap.jpg

enginebracket.jpg

• Like 2