free hit
counters
Short Shift On V8 Esprit - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Short Shift On V8 Esprit

Hello.

I have searched the forum and it did not return any good links so i try to post my question instead. Is there any way to get shorter shift on a -96 V8? I read somewhere about a trick where you swap the position of the linkage in to the gearbox but i dont know if this applies to the V8.

Does anyone know how to go about, trick or product??

Best Regards

Patrik

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

I have searched the forum and it did not return any good links so i try to post my question instead. Is there any way to get shorter shift on a -96 V8? I read somewhere about a trick where you swap the position of the linkage in to the gearbox but i dont know if this applies to the V8.

Does anyone know how to go about, trick or product??

Best Regards

Patrik

I am almost positive this was standard from the S4s on... I may be wrong but I think I remember reading that Lotus switched the position of the linkage cable ends on the S4s and they remained that way thru the 2004.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I am almost positive this was standard from the S4s on... I may be wrong but I think I remember reading that Lotus switched the position of the linkage cable ends on the S4s and they remained that way thru the 2004.

Artie

It may very well be so because since i am a newbee here i am not up to speed with everything yet. Of course it would be interesting to know which way should be the right way to get short shift, anyone with a decent picture???

Patrik

you can adjust the linkage at the back of the gearbox. it done right, the shifts have a more positive feel, but there is nothing i have heard of that actually shortens the throw. I am not sure you want to shift any faster than stock anyway unless you love expensive clutch/second gear replacements.

you can adjust the linkage at the back of the gearbox. it done right, the shifts have a more positive feel, but there is nothing i have heard of that actually shortens the throw. I am not sure you want to shift any faster than stock anyway unless you love expensive clutch/second gear replacements.

The pre 98 V8's were always criticised in road test for a poor gearchange. Post 98' the transalation on the back of the gearbox is completely different which includes different end casting on the gearbox and as such cannot be retrofitted. The fundamental problem with the gearchange is the convoluted routing (a reason why many early mid engined sports cars had the gear lever on the outside of the drivers position in the sill area).

I'd definately echo the above comment - the gearbox is at its design limit and will break if not looked after.

Jeff

Edited by jeff_hooper

What about a shot throw shifter found in the Final Edition Esprits?

Thats a new shorter gear knob with the reverse collar going inside it - it drops the position of the gear knob but does not really make it a short throw.

Regards

Fred

Here is a quote and picture from Rynding who's almost reengineered the Esprit from the ground up!

Artie

Gearbox mod: I did put the uniballs on the upper side to get short gearshift but does not help the slow gearshift, gearbox is still very slow to synchronize between gears.

robinrydning07rc4.jpg

Shot at 2007-07-07

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I modded my '88 for shorter shift. You do basically move the cable linkages from the top of the translator thing to the underneath. You have the grind away a bit of the bracket that gets in the way for it all to work though. Lotus first did this to the Sport 300 I think.

The only problem is that although the gearshift is shorter, it's a lot stiffer as well! Going side to side in the box (ie, 2nd to 3rd) is quite hard work.. but I probably just need to meddle with the cables again or something to fix that.

I think on the V8's each cable goes to either side of the gearbox so the modification isn't possible. If you have something that looks similar to the picture Artie sent, you should be ok.

I personally prefer it now it's modded. it is harder work, but the changes between 1st and 2nd, and then between 3rd and 4th are much better.

• 11 years later...