free hit
counters
car lift - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All in and working today 

Shocking when it's detailed in every handbook written (but not read) I would need to double-check but I think it might be MY19 - I've seen it on a couple of newer cars.  Some of the fasteners ha

Can I ask a stupid question about these scissor lifts. They look to me as though they are just like a normal ramp, and run parallel to the side of the car. How can they possibly pick up the from and r

Posted Images

If they are comfortable with 911 not tipping over, Exige V6 will definitely be fine. Also it shows no noticeable imbalance when lifted by a trolley jack. I'd be fairly confident.

It's impossible to say that it would not /could not happen, but it does appear to have a mechanical fail-safe mechanism in the form of the hooks along the bottom, so if the hydraulics failed it shouldn't come down. Lotus tend to be very even weight distribution front to rear, so with that ramp it looks at though the centre of mass will be within the area of the supports even when at full support. I think that I'd probably also put some very tall axle stands in place if I was to use something of that type.

That said, I use Carstages, and even then put mechanical chocks in addition to the ramps which do that, and the weight of the car which is what primarily keeps it from tipping. So I'm probably over-cautious.

You only need to make sure you lift it with the contact on the points marked at the underside of the car (same as with the trolley jack). If anything, you can just use rubber pads with the scissor lift you're looking at.

Can I ask a stupid question about these scissor lifts. They look to me as though they are just like a normal ramp, and run parallel to the side of the car. How can they possibly pick up the from and reat lifting points as I am assuming you can't just use the cenral one.

cheers

sorry just fixed a typo

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
  • 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine is selling his 2 car lifts from his unit to clear space for shelving. 
I'm not trying to side track this thread, but it might be of use to someone who finds it - he assures me they are some of the best money can buy - but you'd have to do your own research! 

If you reach out, just tell him Mike sent you

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223759234736

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223759204537

I had seen time compensators to place between the flat bottom and the chassis to not have to remove the flat bottom when for example we want to work on the running gear. No way to fall back on these pieces.

On 12/11/2019 at 06:53, Mark030358 said:

Can I ask a stupid question about these scissor lifts. They look to me as though they are just like a normal ramp, and run parallel to the side of the car. How can they possibly pick up the from and reat lifting points as I am assuming you can't just use the cenral one.

cheers

sorry just fixed a typo

it is not a stupid question at all, probably why nobody has answered.

• Gold FFM

Most of these scissor style ramps which go inbetween the front and rear wheels - they simply lift under the cill sections - it really makes me shudder when I see them in the garages I work at with wooden blocks on them to “protect” the cills. Horrible things 

Only here once

1 hour ago, 550superfast said:

But the sill area in general isn't a jacking point. So why would you put the entire car weight on it?

Exactly my point, unless you can pick up more of the jacking points its a big issue (gamble?)

cheers

• Gold FFM
28 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Exactly my point, unless you can pick up more of the jacking points its a big issue (gamble?

1 hour ago, 550superfast said:

But the sill area in general isn't a jacking point. So why would you put the entire car weight on it?

Yes that’s right - I certainly wouldn’t put any of my cars on such a device. At least with a two post you can pick up proper lifting points

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Not even looked at the Evora yet - don’t even know where the jacking points are. 

On the Esprit I use hockey pucks and it works absolutely great and picks up the lifting points inboard of the front and rear wheels.

Only here once

Right. So does anyone with an exige know how to lift safely? What with this being and exige chat. 
I’d like to do it. But my mechanic says it’s not safe. Not just for lifting points. But for rear biased weight distribution. 

The exige V6 can NOT be lifted with those scissor lifts in a normal and approved way....

Be careful as if you lift an exige v6 the rear end weight distribution would make it fall from the lift

also have a look at the lotus documented lifting points and how they work as you should not just use the 4 center points indicated by stickers on any type of lift

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Maxi_z said:

The exige V6 can NOT be lifted with those scissor lifts in a normal and approved way....

Be careful as if you lift an exige v6 the rear end weight distribution would make it fall from the lift

Nonsense.  Exige V6 is fine on scissor lift if done properly and safely.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I’m not sure the exige has an engine which sits as far back as the rear light clusters..... so should be fine on both scissor and two post lifts

Only here once

The weight distribution seems to be 65-68 % rear 35%-32% front, so that puts the centre of mass 2/3 of the way from the front wheels towards the rear wheels. You'd have to remove a lot from the front of the car which seems to put it well within the area bounded by the four corners of the lift. So, like Barry & Dave I cannot see how it's unstable unless a lot of additional weight is applied to the rear/ the front has a lot removed from it.

• Like 1

If the scissor lift has adjustable (spreadable) arms, or like Barrys is a two post lift then provided you can get to the front and rear lifting points then will be ok. However I fail to see how the types with just parallel ramps sitting between the wheels would work and pick up the correct mounting points. I think this is also what @550superfast is also alluding to.

cheers

Mark