free hit
counters
how does the 2din surrounding facia get removed/ - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
LotusFella

how does the 2din surrounding facia get removed/

As the title says how can i remove the facia to remove the radio?

had a search and found nothing obvious.  Sorry probably being really dim!

oh and it's on an Evora S 2010

thx

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You need to pull it off. I used a plastic trim l shaped removal tool to get behind the fascia. There are 3 fixing points.

To the OP, if you got the original Alpine headunit, make sure that you’ve got the front panel ‘extended’ (as if you were putting a CD in). This will give you much better access. 

Original Alpine yes.  Doesn’t seem to want to come off.  Are you sure it’s just clipped in?

Make sure you post up some pics when you do this 👍👍

Only here once

41 minutes ago, LotusFella said:

Original Alpine yes.  Doesn’t seem to want to come off.  Are you sure it’s just clipped in?

Yep, if it's never been removed, then it should have 4x really tight spring clips holding the facia on.  Some people remove one of the clips after removing this panel the first time to make subsequent removals easier. 

Here's some pictures of that panel, and the areas which you need to tug. 

• Like 1

They come out a little easier if pulled straight, which is almost impossible. I found that threading some strong string behind the panel edge helps a lot. 

Thx all. Wow that was tough.

Before you go to the faff of sorting out the wiring, I suggest that you doublecheck that the screen of the HU fits through the ‘aperture’ of the trim piece first. A lot of those Chinese Android units are too large by a mm or two. (Which means that if you’re brave, you might have to shave the trim piece). 

1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

Before you go to the faff of sorting out the wiring, I suggest that you doublecheck that the screen of the HU fits through the ‘aperture’ of the trim piece first. A lot of those Chinese Android units are too large by a mm or two. (Which means that if you’re brave, you might have to shave the trim piece). 

Was reading about this in another thread.  So thought it was okay.  But Thx for the heads up as it won't fit through the facia 😪😪😪😥😥

sending it back. Why are they not a standard size!! like they used to be in single din?

So whats the best option for me.  I would like decent satnav dab+, bluetooth. etc

They are a standard size - at least the rear section is. That’s the double din bit. 

It was Lotus who decided to make the trim fit a very particular size of facia (without any tolerance). 

Has anyone done a replacement facia that is the correct size. It looks like the facia is just plastic welded to the frame?

No. 

You’re right that the surround piece looks like it is plastic welded to the trim piece. But you can’t source the surround piece on its own. How brave are you with a Dremel? 😳

(The trim piece itself is very hard to source. Especially in RHD). 

Maybe we should get a larger one made.  if there is enough interest we could probably get it printed. 

I logged in to post this exact question

The head unit in mine was actually changed before I got the car but there seems to be an issue with the wiring as it’s not holding the memory properly so the wiring and function of the head unit definitely needs to be checked before reassembling everything 

Thanks for posting that little video, knowing where the clips are will be a big help when it comes to taking off the trim

I had the Pioneer sph-da 120 and have just recently upgraded to the 130 for the benefit of dad radio both units fitted easily and both have preformed great.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, scotty435 said:

I had the Pioneer sph-da 120 and have just recently upgraded to the 130 for the benefit of dad radio both units fitted easily and both have preformed great.

image.jpeg

Does it have built in satnav? As website seems to show as optional?

2 hours ago, An Marcach said:

I logged in to post this exact question

The head unit in mine was actually changed before I got the car but there seems to be an issue with the wiring as it’s not holding the memory properly so the wiring and function of the head unit definitely needs to be checked before reassembling everything 

Thanks for posting that little video, knowing where the clips are will be a big help when it comes to taking off the trim

Re the memory. There are usually 2 live feeds to the hu. One is permanent the other is only live when the key is in the ignition. One wire is normally red, the other is yellow. Yellow nowdays is normally permanent live, but some manufacturers still use red for permanent live.  Easy enough to check which is which if the hu is out.

Well that was a waste of time. Alpine back in!  On a positive note there was a bolt loose/completely out on the right side. Circled in red. Which is now tight again.  I looks like it has to be out in order to get enough wiggle room to get the mounting bracket ears passed the facia backing/mount plate.

5E9D7088-3E90-4BDD-A2F7-B3542599FC63.jpeg

8 hours ago, LotusFella said:

Does it have built in satnav? As website seems to show as optional?

C65D4E15-D137-46C4-82CE-204F943141BF.jpeg

Edited by scotty435
Both run Apple Car play, so I use Google maps and Waze, great if you use a iPhone, not so if you don’t.

I wouldn't bother with a headunit with built in nav.

Get a head unit that supports Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Then the maps are constantly kept up to date, you'll also benefit from live traffic data and police/camera hot spots.

This also has the benefit of more choices of sources. Deezer, spotify, podcast and Tunein (radio). Tunein is a big advantage as your not relying on the poor aerial that Lotus fitted to the Evora for a signal.

Look at the normal brands such as Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer and alpine. If your on a budget you'll get a Sony for about £260 with the above.

Chinese head units look appealing with all the bang for buck you get with features. But the amplifiers are normally terrible and the bluetooth quality piss poor.

I have the pioneers mentioned above and these use the apple maps sat nav as it’s all convenient with calls messages music 

I did have an apparently upgraded Clarion but I think it was worse than stock alpine unit and it wasn’t apple car play so defeated the object 

I personally would go with pioneer Sony alike steer away from brands which are a little on unknown side ?