free hit
counters
Upgrade Turbo Or Not? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade Turbo Or Not?

hi guys,

i just got my 97' esprit v8 with only 7K miles on it <_<

the only thing wrong with the car is that one of the turbos is totaly destroyed . :wallbash:

i just want to run the car stock ...for now :unsure:

BUT since i'll have to buy one turbo i was thinking to go for something a bet better than the T25,a T28 may be .(ofcourse i'll buy 2).

i'm looking for something to fit directly and run with the stock ECU with no truble ..............again FOR NOW.

what is ur opinions.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys,

i just got my 97' esprit v8 with only 7K miles on it :wallbash:

the only thing wrong with the car is that one of the turbos is totaly destroyed . <_<

i just want to run the car stock ...for now :unsure:

BUT since i'll have to buy one turbo i was thinking to go for something a bet better than the T25,a T28 may be .(ofcourse i'll buy 2).

i'm looking for something to fit directly and run with the stock ECU with no truble ..............again FOR NOW.

what is ur opinions.

Replacing the turbos on the V8 can be a challenge as the manifold studs are practically "welded" from the heat and there is limited room to wrench. Personally, if you ever have any future plans of upgraded ECU and exhaust, I would go with the T28 now and avoid a second turbo on/off session.

I would also replace the studs/nuts with stainless steel.

Craig

2001 Esprit V8

1985 911 Carrera converted to 1974 RSR IROC race car

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS350 convertible (goes fast and straight - limited handling!)

www.hollowayperformance.com

great ,thats what i think too.PUK Esprit racing sell a stage 2 turbo kit

now all i need to make sure of is that these T28 units will work fine without changes to the ECU.

thx

stay stock, if they are still avaliable. spend the extra cash on spelling lessons.

good to know u check spelling, i'll send u anything i need to check <_<:wallbash:

Hey folks,

You need to be aware that a true T28 or GT28 will be too large to

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Sorry for my lack of clarity on an earlier post.

Mike is correct and the T25 housing must be used in a reflowed turbo upgrade/conversion. I had mine done in the States to a T28 hybrid configuration, 360 degree bearings, polished internals and ceramic coated housings.

Between these, a Johan chip, water/meth injection and race cats - the torque is incredible! (BIG SMILE)

Craig

2001 Esprit V8

1985 911 Carrera converted to 1974 RSR IROC race car

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS350 convertible (goes fast and straight - limited handling!)

www.hollowayperformance.com

Seems like a shame to go through that unpleasant job and not make even a modest improvement in turbo efficiency. Turbo technology has come a fair distance in the last 10 years. I went with these turbos on my car and felt it was a worthwhile upgrade: http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/home.php?cat=188

There were no modifications whatsoever required for fittment.

Good luck.

Rod

Rod

98 Esprit V8

Dynamic Racing Turbos

Water Injection

Factory Red ECU

3 bar MAP piggyback

Straight-through exhaust

TurboXS BOVs

Blitz I-color boost control + Wide-band AFR

Porsche/Getrag G50/52 Transmission (...coming soon someday)

thanks for all the info guys ,I will indeed buy a t28 with t25 housing.

for the mean time I will drive the car slow!!!! with the current condition.

may be the ECU will be running in safe mode ,or cutting on fule I'M not sure but i'll definitely try to keep it under3000 RPM.

Edited by e5pritV8

Be nice please guys.

atgnat, there was no reason to post the spelling comment, please be aware of the forum rules regarding nasty or personal posts.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Give the guy a break! Who made you the english tutor

Be nice please guys.

atgnat, there was no reason to post the spelling comment, please be aware of the forum rules regarding nasty or personal posts.

no harm done guys ,I don't take these things personal. :lol:

Spelling is not important. we have people from all over the world

posting in English on here, it would be daft to start correcting spelling.

If someone writes in bad english, or speaks bad english with an accent...

..it often means they know one more language then me, so they win.

:wallbash:

Spelling is not important. we have people from all over the world

posting in English on here, it would be daft to start correcting spelling.

If someone writes in bad english, or speaks bad english with an accent...

..it often means they know one more language then me, so they win.

:wallbash:

PaulC---> I wish all people like you.

Misconception: people who speaks with accent, bad English, bad spelling are ignorant.

(true if you only speak/write in English)

Bilingual/multilingualism dude is awesome!

Hi Sofrata,

Did you actually say that you will run the car with one turbo totally destroyed ??????

Please, don't do that. There is too much risk that maybe a loose part will enter the engine, or that the other turbo will give up the ghost.

Please keep in mind, that both turbos work on a shared plenum, that means, that if there is an imbalance in efficiency (in your case there is a 100% imbalance ;o) the other turbo has to do all the work.

In your engine one tiny T25 has to do the work of two ...

Please just take out both turbos and send them for a rebuild or an upgrade.

BTW, where are you located ?

Cheers

Marcus

thanks for all the info guys ,I will indeed buy a t28 with t25 housing.

for the mean time I will drive the car slow!!!! with the current condition.

may be the ECU will be running in safe mode ,or cutting on fule I'M not sure but i'll definitely try to keep it under3000 RPM.

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

Hi Sofrata,

Did you actually say that you will run the car with one turbo totally destroyed ??????

Please, don't do that. There is too much risk that maybe a loose part will enter the engine, or that the other turbo will give up the ghost.

Please keep in mind, that both turbos work on a shared plenum, that means, that if there is an imbalance in efficiency (in your case there is a 100% imbalance ;o) the other turbo has to do all the work.

In your engine one tiny T25 has to do the work of two ...

Please just take out both turbos and send them for a rebuild or an upgrade.

BTW, where are you located ?

Cheers

Marcus

thx for the info,I'm new to turbo cars.

Don't worry ,I won't drive it,

I already parked the car and ordered the turbos form Ramspott & Brandt..

I live in KSA,the car is USA spec.

Edited by e5pritV8

• 3 weeks later...

my turbos has finaly arrived and installed ,it took me 2 days to install them.

I started the car it looks ok,there is some black smoke comming out of the passenger side exhaust , I think its the O2 .

check engine light is on(and flashed )I connected my code reader but no codes came out.

waiting for ur replies.

thanks

Sofrata.

Hi Sofrata,

Is it black or more like blue smoke ... ?

New turbos sometimes have some oil left from the assembly sitting inside the compressor housing. This will produce blue smoke for some time after the installation. When all the oil has been used up it will stop smoking.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

my turbos has finaly arrived and installed ,it took me 2 days to install them.

I started the car it looks ok,there is some black smoke comming out of the passenger side exhaust , I think its the O2 .

check engine light is on(and flashed )I connected my code reader but no codes came out.

waiting for ur replies.

thanks

Sofrata.

Marcus

Hi Sofrata,

Is it black or more like blue smoke ... ?

New turbos sometimes have some oil left from the assembly sitting inside the compressor housing. This will produce blue smoke for some time after the installation. When all the oil has been used up it will stop smoking.

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

It is very black and only from the passenger side,and smells rich.

thx

Hmmmmmmmmm ... in this case it's very likely that you maybe have a leaking injector. Please first have a look at the secondary injector(s). BTW, the plenum is a cross flow, that means that the right bank gets fed by the secondary injector which is located on the left side and vice versa.

Monitoring the O2-reading would also not be bad idea. If a secondary injector is leaking you should notice a rich reading on one side.

Cheers

Marcus

It is very black and only from the passenger side,and smells rich.

thx

Marcus